Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Guitar Effects Explained

A circuit diagram would help for that fuzz, rather than just the component layouts.

I'd guess that the signal boost could be increased, so that as the input signal level drops, more of it is pushed up to clipping level. So you could try adjusting the booster gain resistor values.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    A circuit diagram would help for that fuzz, rather than just the component layouts.

I'd guess that the signal boost could be increased, so that as the input signal level drops, more of it is pushed up to clipping level. So you could try adjusting the booster gain resistor values.
    Thanks Simon. I actually stumbled upon the answer when searching for the schematic. Someone else was having same issue. I must have been using the wrong terminology when searching previously (so much to learn).

Turns out the schematic had missed a resistor in parallel with the diodes, which is obviously what this layout was copied off.

I'll give it a burl tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I picked the Jack Orman ebook Guitar Effects Explained from Amazon today. So far I am finding it very readable. It avoids too much math, and reads like a plain English description of how effects work at the circuit level.

I highly recommend this to anyone interested in building pedals, and also to anyone who just wants to know more about the magic.

There is some assumed knowledge required to understand parts of it, but nothing so far that a quick Google search can't fix. For example, the early section on boosters says "our signal is AC coupled into the booster so the clipping takes place symmetrically". Jack doesn't explain what coupling is though, or how it leads to symmetric clipping in the gain stage. Hopefully he explains the related role of the coupling capacitor after the gain stage.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Thanks, for $10 I think it's a good recommendation! I looked at the preview and enjoyed it. It does leave me with questions, but if it's giving me enough information to ask legitimate questions then it must be doing something right! I didn't really understand the part about 'direct AC coupled' but realized the point was that it's a symmetric system with no other components in the way to influence that. I think it does require at least familiarity with electronics terms, but definitely not a degree in electronics.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3