Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very Obscure ‘80s Washburn Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStudent1 View Post
    I agree. The guy was an artist, I can’t take that away from him. I think the majority of people on this forum are true artists...I’m not sure I am one - I just want to shred a guitar to pieces like Steve Vai, or better yet, Vinnie Vincent, lol!
    I am definitely not a shredder. I think I currently max out on picked 16th notes at 70bpm, fast enough for what I play, but quite pedestrian by most standards. Mostly I am happy to string a few coherent notes together in some vaguely bluesy way
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Ditto, I can play a few things fast. And I can do a lot of the chugging and double picking you hear in punk, but as far as soloing goes I'm way more Joey Santiago/Kurt Cobain than Steve Vai et al. I don't really care. I do strive for continuous improvement, but it has to be fun or I'm not doing it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

What I was getting at was “true” artists write songs, poetry, make videos, use different instruments for the sake of the song. They try to get some point or message across....

That’s in sharp contrast to what I want to do which is power chords, shredding, and metal as hard as it gets!! (Not that I claim to be good at it or anything, lol)

What I was getting at was “true” artists write songs, poetry, make videos, use different instruments for the sake of the song. They try to get some point or message across....

That’s in sharp contrast to what I want to do which is power chords, shredding, and metal as hard as it gets!! (Not that I claim to be good at it or anything, lol)
    I don't underestimate the artistry in playing metal. I listen to metal sometimes but have neither the technical chops or the desire to play it (which is odd given that my main guitar is a Floyd-equipped 90s shredder - but I really didn't know what I was doing when I bought it). Art takes many forms and it's not for me to decide what makes the cut. And really it doesn't matter anyway how we label stuff.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I don't underestimate the artistry in playing metal. I listen to metal sometimes but have neither the technical chops or the desire to play it (which is odd given that my main guitar is a Floyd-equipped 90s shredder - but I really didn't know what I was doing when I bought it). Art takes many forms and it's not for me to decide what makes the cut. And really it doesn't matter anyway how we label stuff.
    I can’t communicate a thought correctly - I respect Metal. Metal and hard rock are my favorite genres of music. Actually, if you can get past the vocals, Cannibal Corpse is at another level. Metallica, too - I’ll probably never catch up to bassists Robert Trujillo or Cliff Burton. All those guys are true artists.

Prince was a true artist. Frehley is a true artist... I guess what I was trying to say was - I’m not! I’ll never write lyrics or sing, but I can attack a guitar or bass with fury, lol! That’s really all I want to do.

Back to the subject - it’s been almost a week....I still want the silly lightning bolt guitar!! Original (with switch and signature) vs Replica (plain) - pics below.

As a prior owner of one of these, I can say already that the paint and neck joint both look better on the replica than on my old one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22F0AD49-340F-4A5D-B1CF-2A7D6D174D0D.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	36695

Name:	DE4043C0-87B8-41CB-B6CD-426274CCFDC5.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	668.0 KB 
ID:	36696
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 27-07-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: I never do it right the first time

I can’t communicate a thought correctly
    No all good, I think we get what you are saying, just throwing in our two cents as well.

It's rare to get straight up argument on this board, which is one of its best features.

I do like a good Washburn, I'm sure it's already been pointed out that this is such a KISS looking guitar....

EDIT: Ok yeah I'm a dummy.. I just saw who's name is the signature for this...derrrr

7. Liked by: MusicStudent1

The guitar brings back memories for me. I became a diehard Ace Frehley fan when his solo album came out in ‘78. At that time, it was the best I’d ever heard. The sound of the guitars on that album...I can’t put it into words.

When the pictures for the Washburn guitar came out in the magazines, I bought a black and silver one and was really thrilled with it. At that time, nobody had ever seen Ace without the KISS makeup. In the summer of ‘87, I saw Ace’s group, “Frehley’s Comet”, in Dallas, TX. I briefly met him at that concert.

The 1980s!...good times! I was there!! I’m ready to go back!

Name:	A38483D2-7949-4627-8E95-CB451B7BBB33.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	36698

https://youtu.be/0fsHlOarp7A
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 27-07-2020 at 01:53 PM.

I think I’m obsessed with this subject, lol! Just for the record - Ace Frehley never liked the Washburn guitar. However, I loved it. I think I’m gonna take the $500.00 gamble on it soon...

Name:	69D3254C-087E-4819-893A-AAD4AE874812.jpeg 
Views:	133 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	36699

Oh yeah, I mean I was only a kid in the 80's, but all those guitars have a soft spot for me. I did have an awesome Hondo BC Rich copy for a while, but I've since sold it on.

I really want a hot pink, reverse pointy headstock, floyd rose, super strat with black hardware at some point. But it's a fairly long way down an extensive list :P.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast