Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very Obscure ‘80s Washburn Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    With just the one pickup, what was the selector switch for on the original guitar? Series/parallel or coil split?
    Short answer: coil split.

The switch was a 3 way toggle, just like you’d find on a Les Paul. On this guitar, the rhythm pickup position would be a kill switch - no sound/off, the middle (both pickups position) would be humbucking, the treble position would be a single coil sound.

The original passive Washburn “Eliminator“ pickup was disappointing and I replaced it with an EMG ‘81. - that was dumb because it was a collectible guitar but hey....I was 22 then. I replicated a single coil sound on the active EMG with a capacitor and the whole guitar was improved. I played it for years, dinged it up a bit and sold it about 17 years ago. I really regret it.

I actually saw my old guitar on a Chinese website for sale about 10 years ago. I knew it was mine because the photo had the EMG ‘81 and every ding I made was mentioned, I even saw a fingerboard chip I made with my pick in the photo.

I wonder if my old guitar was the basis for this replica! I know it ended up in China. Why would they put an “EMG” logo on the pickup? Originally, the guitar had “Washburn” in white on the pickup, not “EMG”. To my knowledge, I’m the only one who did an EMG upgrade to one of these!

I could be wrong...FWIW if you like “pointy” metal guitars, this was the only one with complete unhindered access to 24 frets. The BC Rich Ironbird was similar but you couldn’t reach the frets. The Explorer type guitars that do have 24 frets have that lower Horn in the way....that’s why I wanted to find this thing again...

Thanks for listening to me blab on and on...lol!

Thanks for the switch info.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStudent1 View Post
    FWIW if you like “pointy” metal guitars, this was the only one with complete unhindered access to 24 frets.
    If you count a pointy headstock, then the Washburn EC36 trumps it on the upper fret access.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 fret Washburn.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	36605

I almost bought one of those at the time just for the looks. Never tried one out though. Apparently they weren't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    We would have to change your username to “Prince Casey”. Does that guitar come with a case?
    "The ten-thumbed-tone-deaf-talentless-noise-polluter-previously-known-as-prince"

It has an option for a hard case but the price is bumped up to AU $909.24

So I think I'll remain one of the great unwashed for now

cheers, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Thanks for the switch info.
    I almost bought one of those at the time just for the looks. Never tried one out though. Apparently they weren't that great.
    That guitar is beautiful and I remember seeing that guitar in magazines! I’ll never get over the ‘80s! Guitars got very advanced back then with extended fretboards, locking tremolo systems and then poof - it was over. The grunge thing happened, no more guitar solos...WTF happened?

I used to participate in the vintage Washburn forum. I learned most of those 80s Washburns were made at the Matsumoko factory in Japan. I think that’s where they said all the Aria guitars came from as well. They weren’t that great quality-wise - Mine had the 1st string slipping off the fretboard but I repositioned the bridge, pushed a bridge piece over with part of a pick as a shim to fix it and played it for hours.

Strings not lined up right and slipping off the fretboard is the first thing I zero in on when looking at a guitar or bass nowadays.

Speaking of quality flaws - check out the E string near the 20th fret on this Dean! The photo is straight off their website, too!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5B0DFEB-7E7E-425F-9EA9-63FC27E7F622.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	469.4 KB 
ID:	36606
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 23-07-2020 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Severe Shoddy Workmanship

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    "The ten-thumbed-tone-deaf-talentless-noise-polluter-previously-known-as-prince"

It has an option for a hard case but the price is bumped up to AU $909.24

So I think I'll remain one of the great unwashed for now

cheers, Mark
    I don’t know if Prince even knew how to play guitar, but his “Batdance” video is always amusing after a few beers...especially the Vicki Vale part!!! - yeah, I usually have to rewind and closely examine that part a few times, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStudent1 View Post
    I don’t know if Prince even knew how to play guitar
    He definitely knew how to play guitar:

Just skip to around 3:36
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    He definitely knew how to play guitar:
    They even supply that one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000...7df31920qWOirY

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    They even supply that one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000...7df31920qWOirY

cheers, Mark.
    Man, there are clones of everything it seems. Even the clones have clones (at least with pedals).
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Prince was a fantastic musician. Can't say I care for his style of music, but definitely respected his musicianship.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by PJSprog View Post
    Prince was a fantastic musician. Can't say I care for his style of music, but definitely respected his musicianship.
    I agree. The guy was an artist, I can’t take that away from him. I think the majority of people on this forum are true artists...I’m not sure I am one - I just want to shred a guitar to pieces like Steve Vai, or better yet, Vinnie Vincent, lol!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast