Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMS-1 wiring and pickups

DMS-1 wiring and pickups

hi everyone

Does anyone know:
    1) Which pickup is the neck and which is the bridge on this guitar?
    The colours are blue/black and red/black

2) Is there a wiring diagram for this model? I couldn't find one here: https://www.pitbullguitars.com/wiring-diagrams/
    I could try a standard duo sonic diagram, but I think the colour codes for the wiring is different.

thanks in advance

Just go by the length of the wire.
    The bridge pickup has to reach all the way to the 3 way switch. Further than the neck pickup.
    On another note, I would strongly advise not to use the 5 bridge screws supplied.
    They are made from cheddar cheese. Even plain old wood screws would be a better option.

cheers, Mark.

edit: I think the switch was wired thus.
    Been so long since I did it (about a week).
    If it doesn't work, swap the ground and output wires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 way toggle wiring.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	36577

cheers, Mark.
    Last edited by king casey; 20-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.

BEWARE! That diagram has the ground and output labels swapped over!

The way round you install the switch will also determine which tabs you connect the input wires to. Whichever way round you plan to install the switch, the input wire for a pickup goes to the tab on the side the switch will be when the pickup is selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    BEWARE! That diagram has the ground and output labels swapped over!
    That's how it's wired on my JM-1 and Trem-King.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tremking switch.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	36578

I'm not black and crispy...yet.

cheers Mark.

Oh no it's not. You've got a ground wire going to the thick centre tab on the switch, and your red output wire is connected to the two inner tabs.

The diagram has the output wire connected to the the thick centre grounding tab.

Are you sure you're not a drummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It won't fry anything. You'll just get silence.
    O.K. So don't do as I say....do as I do.

cheers, Mark.

Guys
    Thanks for your feedback.

the DMS-1 comes in a more advanced state of wiring from factory... so the switch is partially wired up, and I only need to figure out which pickup live wire goes to which pole ... which I've figured out by touching the wires to the switch , plugging in and tapping the poles with a screwdriver.

King casey -the DMS-1 is harder to figure out because I did initially do as you said (which is my default) ... but the 3-way switch is on the other side of the body - nearer the neck ... so that logic may not hold ... I don't know if the longer red/black pair pickup should be in the bridge position, so the long red wire runs to the switch more easily... or in the neck... so the earth wire runs to earth in the pots.

Have you got a multimeter? If so, the bridge pickup will have the higher DC resistance. It won't be a lot more, but it will be noticeable e.g. 6.3k ohms vs 6.6k ohms.

Thanks Simon.
    Yeah, a friend advised me to do just that ... so I went out and got a meter from Bunnings and learnt to use it.

Both coils read the same - 4.32K ... so I suppose it makes no difference which one goes to the bridge.

I'm also therefore not optimistic about them .... if they can use different wiring for two identical pickups ... that suggests I shouldn't expect much quality from the tone. ... will probably have to replace them at some point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast