Thread: Best way to prepare maple veneer

Best way to prepare maple veneer

Hi,
    With reference to the kit guitars with the spalted maple veneer, which is going to get a Tru-oil finish on the maple.

Should any small imperfections, like dips in the veneer or scratches be filled with
    1. timbermate
    2. CA glue
    or 3. none
    before adding the tru-oil?

I know that I should not sand it at all, or would a gentle high grit rub OK?

regards
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

It'll take a lot of coats of TO to fill any imperfections in the surface, so I think it's worth trying to fix them first. You've obviously got to be careful with sanding, but I'd think that's the way to go to fix up scratches. The flip side is that any imperfections aren't really going to stand out as there's so much going on with the figure in the veneer.

On my recent build with a bridseye maple veneer (a non-PBG kit) I didn't attempt to fix up the imperfections and scratches, and in hindsight, I probably should have. There are scratches visible under the TO, but you'll only see them if you're looking for them. I put on tens of coats, and the surface still isn't completely level.

Thanks Jon. I have gone back over your build thread - which has helped a lot.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I‘d use CA for big dips and maybe a grain filler (birchwood casey make one that they recommend for the use of tru oil). I didn’t with my first build and it took month to get a great finish on burl.
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

I use Birchwood Casey sealer filler. You can put multiple layers on in reasonably short order. I tend to drip spots on with a spare fret or something and reckon to sort out levelling once its built up above where I need it. Usual applies, if you've dripped it on thickly it does need days rather than hours to be ready to sand.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass