Thread: When to stain

When to stain

Hello all, I am wondering when to begin applying the finish. Should the holes for the trem, pickguard, etc. be drilled before or after applying the finish?

I'm not really qualified to comment yet!

But my belief is that the finish should be applied before the holes. The reason is that the finish will enter any holes and soften the wood in those areas, which means the screws may not grab properly. (Knowing this thought - I drilled some before adding the finish on my FVB4 - oops).

Alternatively, some members will drill the holes, but they will then block the holes off with toothpicks (or wax!?) before applying the finish.

Regards Trevor
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It actually doesn't matter, you can do it either way. Finish will not soften the wood to the point the screws will not grab, as finishes also harden I'm not sure where this logic comes from.

Pre drilling is good for ensuring everything will fit together correctly and work before you finish, but the main disadvantage is that once you are to wet sanding stage in finishing there is potential for moisture to get in the holes causing the wood to swell and crack the finish.

I usually have at least some holes predrilled and just take care not to get too much moisture on those areas, having a towel to continually wipe away excess when sanding is a good idea.

If you leave it till after you won't have to worry about the above, but you risk damaging the finish with errant drill work, or if you make a boo-boo it's more difficult to rectify. If you so wait until afterward I strongly recommend some painters tape to help protect the surface and also to act as something you can mark on without marking the finish.

As with most things guitar building related there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. The only way you will know what method works is to try it out, everyone has a different approach and each approach has it's own pros and cons.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

4. Liked by: phrozin

As Sonic said, it's personal preference.
    However I am "before" guy, that is regardless of whether I'm doing a hand applied finish or sprayed finish.

One thing I do before I apply any finish is slightly countersink all the holes. This is especially helpful if spraying. What it does is removes the hard "lip" of the hole where the finish tends to build up and allows for smoother transition from the flat surface of the body into the hole.

As far as wet sanding with pre-drilled holes, it is really not a big deal if you do one very simple thing, and what I do after I've completed application of the finish and before wet sanding. Plug the holes with a small amount of bees wax or surfboard wax.

You can then wet sand right over the holes with absolutely no water getting into them. An added bonus is when you go to put the screws in, the wax acts as a lubricant so they turn in smoothly and minimise the risk of screw breakage.

For pickup routes, if I'm not doing a spray finish, I just brush the routes with a few coats of shellac to seal them.
    Last edited by McCreed; 17-07-2020 at 04:20 PM.

I'm an after guy especially if you are going to wet and dry sand it to polish if water gets in the holes it will, swell the wood and look like crap