Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vintage tuners on STA 1M kit

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    . But it was very cheap neck from eBay
    FWIW I recently got a cheap maple Kmise neck off ebay to replace the engineered rosewood one on my TL1-R.
    It came with 8mm holes accurately spaced for vintage tuners (so it can be done chaps).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kmise.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	694.5 KB 
ID:	36485

cheers, Mark.

That looks really nice King Casey. Simon Garden, I have already cut the headstock and the tuners would fit by the dimensions on the website, however they will overhang the base which was pre cut in the factory. Not sure if I will go with the larger screws, it might not be too noticable if your not looking for it but I will think on that one.
    Thanks anyway Jim C
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    FWIW I recently got a cheap maple Kmise neck off ebay to replace the engineered rosewood one on my TL1-R.

cheers, Mark.
    It certainly can, and a cheap replacement vintage neck from someone like Kmise is probably the best route to go down. Then you can happily use vintage tuners with vintage diameter bushings without any problems and you know everything will fit.

OK. couldn't help it, one from the front.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kmise front.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	36486

The fret rocker did show some work was needed, but I pulled the frets anyway to radius the neck.
    Still, not bad for $50 delivered.

cheers, Mark.

Thanks guys, I would rather not purchase a new neck, but we'll see. Looks really good King Casey. Thanks very much for your help everyone

Just found this StewMac video which explains how to file down vintage tuners where the hole spacing is too small for them to fit unmodified. Not the answer for tuner holes too far apart, but still relevant to the overall subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2