Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EX-1 custom

EX-1 custom

Mentioned this kit a bit in my GS-2Q build diary, starting one for it now. It's definitely going to be a project.

At a quick glance it almost seems innocent enough.

Broken corner on the neck pocket. Humbucker route also needs to be finished.

Corner of the fretboard is in bad shape, and the neck angle is wrong for a hardtail.

Upper fret access is non-existent. This is one of those oversights that can pop up with a custom.

Step 1, gluing that corner back on. The corner piece itself is rough looking, so once it's dry I'll probably have to do some shaping to make it look decent. Probably round it off.

Once that's done I will probably do something about that nasty fretboard corner. Maybe I can use some ebony wood filler on the side. And caaaarefully try to get some glue in the split part and clamp it so it's flat.

Thinking about cutting off a section of that upper horn to fix the fret access. Right now the angle of horn goes down to the 22nd fret and curves back up at about the 19th fret. After the 18th fret you have to start reaching up.

Right now I'm thinking adjust that angle so it goes approximately to the end of the fretboard, and curves back up to around the 23rd fret, close to the neck pocket and just enough to avoid a hard angle that wouldn't fit with the curved angles elsewhere on the body. Would get rid of most of that side of the neck pocket, but it's bolt on so I don't think that would be a problem.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Hi Chaos
    I would not be happy with that fretboard and damaged neck pocket.
    Whilst it may be possible to repair the neck pocket by carefully gluing the bit back on, it might still be visible and therefore stop a clear type finish.
    The fretboard is the worst though as I think any repair will be a patch-up. The 24th fret looks like it has risen up a bit in the photo?
    There also looks to be a split down the board at the low E.

I would suggest contacting Adam and finding a resolution - he is very helpful in such matters.

Interesting kit though and I look forward to your build.
    Good luck!

Cheers
    Ricky

I had intended to paint this from the start so the neck pocket bit isn't really a problem. Already have it glued in now.

The fretboard I'm not as sure about. Yes, it's split around the low E and that bit is raised a little. That's where I'd need to somehow get some glue in there and clamp it so it's flat, but that will probably be difficult without breaking that corner off completely.

I've had this sitting aside since February or so and noticed the damage then. It probably occurred during shipping since the GS-2Q also had some minor damage. Feels too late to bring it back up as a problem now.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Stuck a pin in the split on the fretboard which made a very tiny gap. Got a sliver of paper and put some Titebond on it, and pulled it through the hole to get glue on the inside. Most of it came off before it went through, but hopefully some of it is in there.

Pulled the pin out and clamped it. Hoping for the best but I don't know if this is going to help or hurt.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Seems reasonable. Not as if there's going to be big loads on it.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Improved, but not perfect.

Maybe sanding 220->320 will smooth it out the rest of the way.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

I bet that already passes the crucial test of "can it be seen from 3 feet away". Maybe a tiny dab of filler in the remaining crack. See if you can make black filler with the aid of a sharpie or something and then sand. Are you planning to radius the corner a touch?
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

I guess so. Will just try to match the rest in terms of shape.

I was hoping to buy some filler and to try out today but it seems like the only thing any place sells in ebony locally is putty. Stuff that doesn't dry hard and isn't sandable, not what I need for this. And I don't even want to attempt staining some lighter filler because it won't come close to matching.

Timbermate comes in ebony. Might be an option?

Hopefully it works out, because that's what I ordered.
    Last edited by Chaosblade; 19-07-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

The cut I was thinking.

Quick and dirty...

Instant second thoughts.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

A little bit out of proportion with the rest of the body, but not too bad. You could take 2-3cm off the tip of the horn so it's not quite so pointy and more round to better match the rest of the body. Or else you make the body and headstock more pointy to match.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast