Thread: On the FV-1G there’s three pots 2 vol 1 tone? What’s the third pot?

On the FV-1G there’s three pots 2 vol 1 tone? What’s the third pot?

There is no wiring diagram for 2 Humbuckers to 3 way switch and 3 pots

That's odd. On the wiring diagrams section they give this 1 vol 1 tone for the FV-1G but on the kit page it clearly shows 3 pots.

You could try this diagram for 2HB, 2 vol, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Or you could also go for 1 vol 2 tone if that suits you more. Personally I would go with 2 volume controls.

What value pots did you get? Are they all A500k (log)? Or are some marked B500k (linear)? You definitely want A500k for volume, while A or B pots work for tone where it's more of a personal preference.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Here's the schematic Jugglindan was attempting to link to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2H_3G_2V_1T.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	36423
    Thanks Simon, I totally stuffed that up

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Unfortunately the SD site doesn't let you link directly to the diagrams from the wiring web page, though you can right-click on it and do a 'save image location' and paste that in a link rather then save it to your computer and then upload it as I did. Direct link version below:

Gibson arrange the two volumes along the bottom on the triangle of knobs, with the tone as the top of the triangle so it's the closest to your picking hand. This puts the bridge pickup volume furthest away, so on my V, I've swapped the tone and bridge volume knob positions, as I'm far more interested in having easy access to the volume knobs than the tone knob. YMMV.

Am I missing something? That drawing specifies push/pull pots but they don't seem to be doing anything.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

@JimC - you have to select from the drop-down menu on the right to display the correct configuration.

Seymour Duncan has "updated" their website in an effort to make it "easier". They should have left it the way it was two updates ago. It was fine. And btw, I found the the same thing you did until I figured out the last step.

You got to love the corporate concept of improvements.

Edit to add: I now see what you mean with that diagram. the pots are just labelled as push/pull but the drawing shows a standard single gang pot.
    Last edited by McCreed; 08-07-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

SD have a lot of push/pull pot diagram options for the two humbucker/three control/three way switch. This was about the only option out of 10 or so that didn't have extra switching options. They've copied and pasted and just haven't got the labels right. These are just standard pots.

I'd also suggest that the tone pot should be a 0.022uF cap, not the 0.047uF indicated. With no single coil (through switching) option, the standard humbucker value would be more appropriate. And I veer towards 0.01uF caps these days as I'd never use the tone control on a 0.022uF tone pot in the full mud position.

I'll look into the diagram this weekend.

B