Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online Guitar courses

Online Guitar courses

Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

Has anyone used and can recommend any of the multitude of Online Guitar Courses available to help improve your playing. Willing to pay for it.

As a middle aged white guy, my preferred style is obviously blues / blues rock

Cheers in advance.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #2 Non PB Vintage Strat Rebuild
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #4 ES-12G (now converted to ES-1)
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT
    #7 Non PB 52 Tele replica
    #8 Coming Soon: 1970's Japanese Les Paul Special Resto.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

I have spent a long time working through the material here, and I always find something more:
    Justin Guitar

Justin is a great teacher as well as a great player.

More recently, I have signed up for Active Melody and so far I like it. It's more lesson of the week than structured progression, and more firmly focused on blues and blues improvisation than JustinGuitar:
    https://www.activemelody.com/

For me, these two sites compliment each other nicely.

DC
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

I subscribed to this one for a couple of years. edit: Doh! Dan beat me to it.
    https://www.activemelody.com/lessons/

I was mainly interested in the 'delta' type fingerstyle playing but he does cover quite a few blues genres.
    Like any lessons though, you have to try and apply the material outside of the examples that are given.
    That's the hard part.

cheers, Mark.

I think that (and a healthy lack of innate talent!) is why I tend to move slowly through this sort of material. I learnt a few nice blues licks from Active Melody last week. Learning to play the licks wasn't hard, but I am spending a lot of time figuring out how they fit with other things and what they have to say. That takes a while.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

This is purely subjective, but based on my experience so far, I think Justin is the better teacher. His ability to break down difficult topics and explain them clearly is unmatched. Where I think Brian@Active Melody excels is the focus on learning how to improvise, and the broader range of topics in the large umbrella of "blues". But in specific lessons he seems to move more quickly than Justin might, with less detailed explanation.

Thanks Gents I'll take a look, it does appear to be significantly cheaper than most.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

I grabbed a Covid deal on this one: https://stackskills.com/p/guitar-les...ous-guitarist1

The instructor is quirky, but I'm finding it pretty good. Not sure if I would pay full price, but definitely worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossc0 View Post
    Thanks Gents I'll take a look, it does appear to be significantly cheaper than most.
    Given all content is available for free, I don't think Justin Guitar could get any cheaper! Quality is top-notch though.

I've been considering getting one of Tim Pierce's programs, but have yet to make the investment.
    They're not cheap (especially with the current economy) but he's a great player and very humble despite playing as a session guy on heaps of huge records.

I watch his free stuff and really like the way he explains and approaches things.

This is the one that interests me most: Tim Pierce Guitar

Here's his homepage
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I've been considering getting one of Tim Pierce's programs, but have yet to make the investment.
    They're not cheap (especially with the current economy) but he's a great player and very humble despite playing as a session guy on heaps of huge records.

I watch his free stuff and really like the way he explains and approaches things.

This is the one that interests me most: Tim Pierce Guitar

Here's his homepage
    Thanks will check him out.
    #1 LP1-SS
    #3 TL1 - Custom
    #5 RC4
    #6 STA-1HT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast