Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finishing pedal enclosures

I'm beginning to think ThatCluelessGerman is very far from clueless!

Nice work there ThatNotSoCluelessGerman!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'm beginning to think ThatCluelessGerman is very far from clueless!
    But everyone knows that Lucille is a 355 (well now a variant of one), not a LP!

Ha, just an experienced googler, and of course asking a million dumb questions here. Really, without this forum I wouldn't know about scale lengths or staining or anything at all. Ask Simon, he answers most of my stupid questions with a huge amount of patience ;-)

The name actually is from The Walking Dead ;-)
    I was joking around with my husband, telling him I'd swing the guitar at him and knock him out. So he suggested I'd make it "Negan's Lucille".
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

I am going to try toner transfer using a clothes iron. I have seen several versions of the technique using different paper. Will experiment on an enclosure until I sort out the method. A bit of acetone to remove toner between attempts.

And I love the guitar as weapon motif. It's not called an axe for nothing!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

My favorite paper for toner transfer is the dirt cheapest glossy inkjet(!) photo paper you can get. It was around 7€ for 50 sheets A4. It works so well, you don't even need to peel it with water, just wait until you can touch it and peel. The whole gloss layer will stick to the metal and the paper peels right off. If you want to try it, get the cheapest stuff available.
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Found this today for an alternative toner transfer method without heat. It uses printing to the waxy backing paper from adhesive labels.

What I find really interesting is the design is not being used as a negative mask for etching. The toner is the design, so it's good for etching and as a direct alternative to waterslide decals. But with no decal edges and mess to contend with. And once the transfer is made, just clear coat right over the top.

Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

And this video probably explains the magic behind the last video. The acetone (or acetone-related solvents) in the clear lacquer soften the toner so it releases from the waxy paper.

Pretty sure this is the toner transfer method I will experiment with first:

I need to get back into etching my own PCBs, I etched one for my DIY Univibe using some blank (un-etched) PCB material, blue Press N Peel film, and some Ammonium Persulphate etchant, all bought from my local Jaycar Electronics store of course, oh and also a Laser Printer (remember those?) with a full Toner cartridge, I got some pretty good results that way, oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that I used a standard electric clothes iron to transfer the artwork on the blue Press N Peel film to the un-etched PCB material.

Press'n'Peel film sounded interesting until I saw the cost! I am definitely going to experiment with toner transfer using the acetone+alcohol mix from various papers first. If that fails totally then I will try the heat-based methods.

In the ideal world in my head I would get a great transfer from plain white printer paper. As unlikely as that is, I now have a method to easily test it.

But first, my mantra is "Ohm, finish the tele, Ohm"

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Press'n'Peel film sounded interesting until I saw the cost! I am definitely going to experiment with toner transfer using the acetone+alcohol mix from various papers first. If that fails totally then I will try the heat-based methods.

In the ideal world in my head I would get a great transfer from plain white printer paper. As unlikely as that is, I now have a method to easily test it.

But first, my mantra is "Ohm, finish the tele, Ohm"

Yep, as with everything, you go with whatever works for you, I wouldn't mind giving the acetone+alcohol toner transfer method a go and see how it works for me, in the meantime I usually make do with either vero board or pad-per-hole board for building circuits, I'm in the process of experimenting with using an app called Veecad to do all my board layouts, it's a free bit of software.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast