Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Woltz's Violin/Fiddle Build

Ah the finger planes, a purchase I have dithered over for a number of years....kudos sir.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

What's the plywood shape for? You already have some templates, so is it another template or is it for bending things around?

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    I have tool envy.
    Haha I'm about to buy a couple more tools as well. It's a bit of an outlay now but I'm hoping to make a few violins and I don't know what access to power tools I'll have over the next couple years so trying to make sure I have the tools to do them completely by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Ah the finger planes, a purchase I have dithered over for a number of years....kudos sir.
    I admit, I cheated here a bit. I purchased a cheap chinese set off eBay. Time will tell whether I should've just sucked it up and bought the ibex ones or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    What's the plywood shape for? You already have some templates, so is it another template or is it for bending things around?
    The plywood shape will be the form (inside mould). 6 blocks of wood are temporarily glued to it, then the ribs are bent and glued to the blocks of wood. Then the lining (basically the same as kerfing just without the relief cuts) is glued to one edge of the ribs. Then the plywood form is removed. Then lining is glued to the other edge, then the top and back can be glued on.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I admit, I cheated here a bit. I purchased a cheap chinese set off eBay. Time will tell whether I should've just sucked it up and bought the ibex ones or something similar.
    Would mind sharing your cheat link?😁
    FrankenLab

Mentor
    Would mind sharing your cheat link?
    Haha mate they are just one of the sets available on ebay for around $110 - 120. I'll let you know what they are like when I start using them. They are much cheaper than the ibex stuff which is around $170 - 190 for just one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Haha mate they are just one of the sets available on ebay for around $110 - 120. I'll let you know what they are like when I start using them. They are much cheaper than the ibex stuff which is around $170 - 190 for just one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I just spent my tool budget on a baritone neck.😭 finger planes will have to wait.....
    FrankenLab

Mentor
    I just spent my tool budget on a baritone neck.😭 finger planes will have to wait.....
    I know the pain. There is always something that I "need". haha

Where did you get the neck from? Be aware that there are baritone necks, which need a suitable body to match, and conversion baritone necks, which are longer overall and will convert a standard guitar e.g.a Strat into a baritone. The PBG baritone necks were true baritone necks, normally with 21 or 22 frets, but were generally being bought as if they were conversion necks (which generally need 23 or 24 frets to accommodate the extra neck length required to take up all the extended scale length), with a subsequent inability to be intonated as the bridge was in the wrong place. I pointed this out to Adam after there were a few complaints during builds, and I think they got removed from sale. What was worrying was the number of people who bough one and didn't complain. They can't all have made custom baritone bodies for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Where did you get the neck from? Be aware that there are baritone necks, which need a suitable body to match, and conversion baritone necks, which are longer overall and will convert a standard guitar e.g.a Strat into a baritone. The PBG baritone necks were true baritone necks, normally with 21 or 22 frets, but were generally being bought as if they were conversion necks (which generally need 23 or 24 frets to accommodate the extra neck length required to take up all the extended scale length), with a subsequent inability to be intonated as the bridge was in the wrong place. I pointed this out to Adam after there were a few complaints during builds, and I think they got removed from sale. What was worrying was the number of people who bough one and didn't complain. They can't all have made custom baritone bodies for them!
    I wasn’t actually aware of that Simon, so I probably should have checked first. Thank you for pointing it out.
    However, being the FrankenLab, it really doesn’t make a huge difference either way. I will see what turns up and plan accordingly. There are a number of body blanks lurking behind Igor’s specimen jars so it shouldn’t be an issue. 😁🤔
    FrankenLab

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast