Thread: truss rod floats?

truss rod floats?

Hello everyone I recently bought a kit from pitbull, its the AGM-3Q I believe.. its an SG style with 3 hum buckers. Anyway I've been moving along and everything is coming out allot better than I expected as I am new to this but I just started painting and staining the neck and after everything dried I picked the neck up and flipped it over and I heard a noise so I shook it a bit and realized that the truss rod is floating around in there.. is this normal? if not is it fixable from a beginner stand point? thank you so much for your time and I really hope its nothing too bad.. thanks again.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It’s not really a problem. Once it has a bit of tension on it, it will hold itself in place.

Have youtried tightening it at the truss rod nut?
    TTBOMK most if not all PB necks are two-way adjustment, meaning it can create either a convex or concave bow via the rod.

With a 2-way there is a spot in the middle (sort of neutral) where it's not applying tension in either direction.
    Try giving the truss rod nut an 1/8 of a turn (in either direction) and see if the rattle goes away.
    It may just be in between at the moment.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Have youtried tightening it at the truss rod nut?
    TTBOMK most if not all PB necks are two-way adjustment, meaning it can create either a convex or concave bow via the rod.

With a 2-way there is a spot in the middle (sort of neutral) where it's not applying tension in either direction.
    Try giving the truss rod nut an 1/8 of a turn (in either direction) and see if the rattle goes away.
    It may just be in between at the moment.
    Thank you both very much for your fast responses and you were right cuz with just a slight little tweak and it doesn't move. I was thinking that the kit seemed really good all around and it wasn't very cheap so..I really hoped it was nothing and considering the work I've put into the body and my lack of experience I'm just really glad it was something dumb.. but thanks again and I'm gonna post a body picture let me know what you think.

actually it turns out I don't know how to post a picture on the thread but I'm gonna post one in the section for that its an awesome custom emerald green quilted top with white border or trim around the edges.. just got it cleared and I cut and lightly buffed it but I still have some light surface scratches to get out but its almost ready for electronics..

Good to hear it got sorted. How did your kit turn out? Are you going to post a diary and photos?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.