Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meguiar's users - Which product do you use?

Meguiar's users - Which product do you use?

I've used 3M Micro-Gloss for polishing my finishes for years and still happy with the results, and never looked beyond it.

I know a lot of folks use Meguiar's car polish but they have quite a broad range of products so wasn't sure where to start.

I only ask because SCA is got a 30% off sale on all things Meguiar and I thought I might try some just because.

Any suggestions? Experience, good or bad?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    I use Scratch X 2.0 for final swirl removal and it's awesome. The foam polishing pads are pretty good too.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

What about the initial polishing stage?

I've used the Scratch X 2.0 as a final polish and agree it is super. I was using nufinish cut and polish as an initial stage, meguiars ulitmate then the Scratch X. I think I need to be a bit more aggressive with the initial C&P in mine as I do have a few light scratches left on the 2 guitars I've built. These are nitro finishes though.

I use Rustoleum Machine Cutting compound after sanding to 2000grit. Then Kitten No.2, then scratch X.

Thanks, I'll check out the Scratch X 2.0.
    I may look into the foam pads as well. I've been adverse to using anything mechanical in the polishing process, but after the way my hands felt after my most recent job, (post #18 of this thread) I may have to reconsider.
    Arthritis sucks and is slowly getting worse.

Edit to add:
    I presume the Scratch X 2.0 is silicone free?
    Last edited by McCreed; 25-06-2020 at 12:06 PM.

As far as I know, it's actually quite different in texture and application to most automotive polishes I've used previously.

The foam pads are for elbow grease style polishing. They do seem to speed things up. I use a mechanical buffer for the cutting stages and then swap to hand for the final passes. My buffer uses hoods, but I'm planning to upgrade to a smaller palm unit that uses the foam style pads, they seem to pick up bits of dust and stuff less easily than the 'wool' style ones.

My next couple are going to be satin anyway as it's just easier and I have a good handle on how to get a great result with it.

I've ordered some Scratch X and set of foam pads (for hand drill). I'll have the polish tomorrow, pads next week. I'll give the compound a try by hand since I'm already at that stage with one piece.
    Thanks for your input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I've used 3M Micro-Gloss for polishing my finishes for years and still happy with the results, and never looked beyond it.

I know a lot of folks use Meguiar's car polish but they have quite a broad range of products so wasn't sure where to start.

I only ask because SCA is got a 30% off sale on all things Meguiar and I thought I might try some just because.

Any suggestions? Experience, good or bad?
    I used Meguiar’s Scratch out polish and found out later it contains silicone! I do not want silicone anywhere near any of my guitars. It wasn’t listed on the bottle, either.

You should research that before using the stuff in your guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicStudent1 View Post
    I do not want silicone anywhere near any of my guitars. It wasn’t listed on the bottle, either..
    Why?

It's only really an issue for refinishing. It's the same deal in an automotive setting. Silicone can be annoying, but it's not a boogey man, you just need to be diligent in prep.

I used Meguiar’s Scratch out polish and found out later it contains silicone! I do not want silicone anywhere near any of my guitars. It wasn’t listed on the bottle, either.
    I'm going to email Mequiar and see if they have an MSDS for the Scratch X. I've just used it on 2 guitars, but not keen on silicone either.

I know Sonic has much more experience than me with the auto refinishing, and I get I his point about prep, but I also know that once I've "finished" a guitar, it doesn't mean it's going to stay that way forever .

I've been known to refinish a finished guitar once or twice...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast