Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meguiar's users - Which product do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    It's only really an issue for refinishing. It's the same deal in an automotive setting. Silicone can be annoying, but it's not a boogey man, you just need to be diligent in prep.
    Best to avoid it if at all possible. If you are making guitars for other people, you can't assume they'll know anything about silicone or want it on their finish. For guitars that you are never passing on, then it's up to you. But certainly for production guitars, there's no need to use it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'm going to email Mequiar and see if they have an MSDS for the Scratch X. I've just used it on 2 guitars, but not keen on silicone either..
    https://www.meguiars.co.uk/wp-conten...G103G10307.pdf

Doesn't look like Scratch X2 does. The unnamed main ingredient, EC 231-791-2, is just water.

That's great. Thanks Simon! Appreciated.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

And here's the page with all their MSDS sheets on.

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/downloads/

I've had a look at some of their wax products, as they are the ones most likely to have silicone in, but the wax itself is listed as a 'trade secret', so you just don't know.

Why?

It's only really an issue for refinishing. It's the same deal in an automotive setting. Silicone can be annoying, but it's not a boogey man, you just need to be diligent in prep.
    Well, I like your thinking, Sonic Mountain. Especially since I naively used it on a very rare bass - what’s done is done. What I should’ve used was a guitar scratch and swirl remover.

Any idea how to get it off? Soap, vinegar, lighter fluid? It’s slippery and I can feel it on there.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    It shouldn't feel slippery, it might need further buffing to remove all residue.

To completely remove it the easiest way is to get some Prepwash wax and grease remover and clean it with that. This is what body shops use to remove polish and any other contaminants before respraying. You'll probably want to polish again with something tho as it will look a bit dull after. Also, it's generally very safe for most paints, but you should always test new products in an inconspicuous place first.

I really wouldn't be worried about it. In an automotive setting you are dealing with large surface areas, nooks and crannies that are hard to get at and a vast array of chemicals. Silicone is avoided in body shops as nothing sticks to it (Paint/primer/etch primer etc etc) so missing it in prep can be an expensive exercise, especially on something like a show car.

Most cars, especially older ones usually have some silicone sealer used somewhere(around the windscreen for instance) so it's just a matter of being careful when cleaning and prepping those areas.

For a guitar, even if you do refinish, its such a small area to cover and you'll be stripping back the paint that it's sitting on, I just don't see it being an issue.

I did go and do some reading and it does seem that Scratch X is not preferred in a body shop setting. It's definitely a different formulation to most other polishes and compounds I've used, so perhaps there is just a distrust based on that. I've used it a lot and have had no issues at all.
    Last edited by Sonic Mountain; 07-07-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks, Sonic Mountain. My scratch X is old, I used it about 3 years ago and at the time it was confirmed to contain silicone. I recalled it was called “consumer grade” and as you found, was not for use in body shops. I suspect the MSDS Simon pulled up is for a different, more recent product. The silicone doesn’t seem to be in the scratch x product now.

Where do I get the prep wash and grease remover? I’ll do a google search....I just want to get it off and polished up properly. The guitar will never be refinished. I just don’t like the slippery feel - its kind of a fake way to make something shine IMO.
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 07-07-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Supercheap or Autobarn, anywhere that sells paint products really. I think you'd probably get it at the big green shed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Best to avoid it if at all possible.
    But why? Apart from what I've already mentioned are there other reasons why people wouldn't want a product that contains, allegedly, "some" silicone?

Supercheap or Autobarn, anywhere that sells paint products really. I think you'd probably get it at the big green shed too.
    Wow...we are definitely from different parts of the world, my friend! I’ve never heard of any of those stores, lol!!!

Thanks for trying, anyway!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast