Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using push/pull pots as 3-way switch?

What I would do is think about how I'm going to play the instrument. That may give you some clues about what will suit you best.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    What I would do is think about how I'm going to play the instrument. That may give you some clues about what will suit you best.
    That's a good point. If you need to quickly switch between neck and bridge pickups in the transition between parts of a song, having to push one knob down and the other up seems much harder than flipping a toggle. Plus if you do the knobs in the wrong order (up then down) you will get a volume stutter.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

If it's particularly the toggle you hate, replace it with a blend pot, then you can have the same knob as your vol/tone. That leaves your push pulls for splitting phasing and parallel/series.

Was also going to bring up the blend pot. Though it would require sacrificing another pot, so something like 2V 1T and a blend for pickup selection. That would let you bias toward one pickup instead up just on or off. Or you could fit it into the toggle switch hole if you just don't want the switch but are okay with an additional knob.

Otherwise I'd agree with Simon's suggested wiring since you probably don't want off/off. A kill switch is a control option but generally not used though push-pull.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

I think Tassie was suggesting the blend pot goes in the position the toggle switch on a LP goes. It would make it look rather Gretch-like IMO, but it's certainly an option.

You have definitely given me lots to think about. While using rotary switch or similar would perphaps look bit better than toggle I would like to stay in four knob configuration. Last couple of days I have tried to sketch up and understand the Simon's proposal and for the life of me I can't figure it out. If anybody has wiring diagram for that lying around please save me and share

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfYourDepth View Post
    I have tried to sketch up and understand the Simon's proposal
    Something like this @Simon?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switchless LP.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	36245
    Lower switch always connects one pickup or the other, upper switch connects both or none.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Yes. The top switch is probably better described as bringing in both pickups or having no effect (rather than no pickups) leaving the bottom switch to do the neck/bridge pickup selection.

OOYD, can you convert Jim's switch diagram to the contacts on a push/pull switch?

Thanks for the diagram. I understand the symbols other than that im not entirely sure.. or even nearly sure.
    Something like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200630_040116_resized_20200630_040653304.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	36265

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast