Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternate to Boss/Roland PSA?

Alternate to Boss/Roland PSA?

Apologies for making this n00b question it's own thread, but are there any goto alternatives to the Boss or Roland PSA in Australia? Can I just walk into an Altronics or equivalent and find something suitable?

Yes, but you have to get a negative to tip psu. Most of the altronics ones are centre positive. You could buy a plug and rewire, but it's easier to get the right item to start with.

Any music store should have some, and easy to find online for good prices.

Are you powering 1 or multiple pedals?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Kosmic sound have this one, and you can find them online (eBay) for less than $20.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

What jugglindan said...

Plus, whether running 1 pedal or 10, you need a power supply that will provide adequate amperage for the total amount of "current draw" that the pedal(s) will require.

Even an old model 9v Boss PSA (which was only 500mA) would be enough to easily power 5 or 6 "average" pedals.
    It's fine have more power supply amperage (not voltage) than you need, but you never want less than your pedals total required.

I have a 2 Amp power supply (BOSS PSB-240A). I run 11 pedals including an active wah, and I still only "draw" less than 500mA.

Here are some links to power supplies that are suitable for guitar pedals:

Power Supplies @ Artist Guitars

Power Supplies @ SWAMP Industries

For $65 the PSB-240A is perfect for my needs and good value IMO.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Have a look at Swamp for sure.
    Cliff

Awesome, thanks for the directions gents.

For context, I currently have a single Boss pedal (SD-1), but am intending on making two or three additions soonish. Swamp did come up in my searches, so thanks for validating \m/

If you plan on using more than 1 pedal, I strongly recommend a good isolated power supply. It reduces the risk of one pedal adding noise to the power line that will then affect other pedals.

Having said that, I have a cheaper daisy chain PSU (Joyo JP-03) and it works fine with analog pedals. I have one digital pedal that makes everything noisy if connected to the same supply so when it's on the board I run it from a separate power brick. In hindsight I should have gotten an isolated supply.

Interesting. Would the Joyo JP06 noise blocker/isolator thing that Artist sell fix that?

It might, but I already had a few single outlet power bricks anyway so I used the solution that didn't require buying anything

Would the Joyo JP06 noise blocker/isolator thing that Artist sell fix that?
    That is it's intended purpose, but FWIW I wouldn't say it's imperative that you buy one unless you find you do have a problem.

My power supply isn't isolated and I have never had a problem. (10 analog pedals + 1 digital)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

11. Liked by: dozymuppet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast