Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: First guitar - TLA-1F

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Yes, good point Simon. I forgot to mention that.
    Sounds like Phoenix has got a handle on it now anyway.
    Simon makes a good point. I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the heads up. This is my first ever build so I'm just stumbling around in the dark at this stage!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Update, 3 colour coats down on the head and body, and one clear base coat on sides and back to bring out grain. I'm liking the way it's progressing.

While giving the wudtone the time it needs I've ordered these upgrades:

- Seymour Duncan hot t pick-ups
    - 6 saddle chrome tele bridge
    - gotoh tuners
    - chrome abalone knobs
    - chrome switch knob
    - chrome switch plate with diagonal switch
    - 3 position CRL Switch
    - CTS 250k pots
    - 0.033 capacitor
    - new jack and round, chrome side screw jackplate
    - cloth covered wire
    - copper insulation tape

Anything else you guys would recommend?

Cheers,

Phoenix

Presumably the jack is an electrosocket type? Note that they come in imperial and metric jack thread sizes. You'll certainly need an imperial version if you've got a Switchcraft or Pure Tone jack.

I had a SD Hot Tele bridge and a Hot Strat neck pickup in a Tele and I found them too warm for me, lacking any real Tele bite. So I swapped them out for some more traditional pickups and I much prefer the sound. Obviously YMMV. But see what you think when you fit them. If you do find them a bit dull, you could try fitting 500k pots to add in some extra treble whilst keeping the higher output power. It's an easy change to make later.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Presumably the jack is an electrosocket type? Note that they come in imperial and metric jack thread sizes. You'll certainly need an imperial version if you've got a Switchcraft or Pure Tone jack.

I had a SD Hot Tele bridge and a Hot Strat neck pickup in a Tele and I found them too warm for me, lacking any real Tele bite. So I swapped them out for some more traditional pickups and I much prefer the sound. Obviously YMMV. But see what you think when you fit them. If you do find them a bit dull, you could try fitting 500k pots to add in some extra treble whilst keeping the higher output power. It's an easy change to make later.
    Excellent point about the electrosocket. Out of pure dumb luck I got the imperial version. I'm clearly still very new to this!

As for the pick-ups, I did a fair bit of research on the tone I was after before deciding on these. Including playing around on a guitar fitted with them. That being said it's hard to say how they sound until they are on the guitar itself. Fingers crossed it sounds how I think it should in my head, if not I'll be back for more advice. That being said I'm not that much of a tele traditionalist, I want think thing to look and sound different, whilst tipping it's hat to its telecaster roots if thay makes any sense?

Lots of good upgrades there. Looks like you got those glue spots elimnated too! Nice even colour there now - looks great!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I love what youve done round the edges. Just beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    I love what youve done round the edges. Just beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

McCreed, the colour has evened out nicely. Final coat of colour has done down, so will begin with top coats this weekend.

On another note, the postman bought a big box of goodies today, so I can start piecing together all the hardware now. It's starting to get exciting!

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me with a wudtone question. I wanted to paint a white line to my headstock to simulate binding between a stained and unstained section. I then planned to finish over the top using wudtone top coat.

What paint can I apply to the wood to achieve this that will not react with the wudtone top coat?

Cheers,

Phoenix

Bone nut, green stain, faux binding and pyrographed line done on the head. Now I'm stuck trying to decide weather I want to do a Paisley design on the unstained part of the headstock, burn the guitar's name on the headstock, or leave it blank and apply a transfer during the clear coating stages.

Leaning towards burning at this stage

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast