Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First guitar - TLA-1F

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Attachment 36138
    This one. Think it would be too much of a good thing!
    Man that thing is a beauty! But you're right, a different pick guard could push it over the edge. The clear pick guard looks to be the perfect fit for that bit of gear

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Loving that pyrography man, great work!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Been a while between updates, apologies.

Recently I've drilled the body for the mounting of the hardware and pickguard. Today I put on the first layer of wudtone surfer girl Green. Mostly the coverage is pretty good except for a small section at the base that won't take the oil in. I think the veneer is too thin and I'm getting some of the glue, which is annoying, but not much to be done.

Anyway, I'll let it dry for a few days then I'll hit it with another coat, looking at doing maybe 3-4 coats of base in total. I'm happy with the colour and the look overall.

On another note I'm looking to upgrade the pick-ups, pots, selector, control plate etc. Any advice on models people have used or recommend?

Cheers,

Phoenix

That's looking great!
    Shame about those glue spots though. Did you check for glue spots with metho or naptha before applying the colour?

The best solvent for removing the glue is 100% acetone (Goof-Off, Goo-Gone). It's possible you could have a go at removing the glue before your next colour coats and hopefully blend it back with subsequent coats.
    I used a small plastic (stiff) bristled brush with the acetone and got good results.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    That's looking great!
    Shame about those glue spots though. Did you check for glue spots with metho or naptha before applying the colour?

The best solvent for removing the glue is 100% acetone (Goof-Off, Goo-Gone). It's possible you could have a go at removing the glue before your next colour coats and hopefully blend it back with subsequent coats.
    I used a small plastic (stiff) bristled brush with the acetone and got good results.
    Hey mate, top advice. I checked it initially, but I didn't check it a second time after passing over it lightly with the 240 grit sandpaper as instructed for wudtone. I think I might have exposed some glue and I didn't double check. I'll try the acetone solution and let you know how it goes, cheers for that

I don't believe Goo-Gone is the same as Goof-Off (Goof-Off is better in this application). Made by different companies and it looks like they target different types of sticky stuff. But acetone should work well. Be aware that it will soften the binding (and a lot will melt it), so go carefully when getting close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I don't believe Goo-Gone is the same as Goof-Off (Goof-Off is better in this application). Made by different companies and it looks like they target different types of sticky stuff. But acetone should work well. Be aware that it will soften the binding (and a lot will melt it), so go carefully when getting close to that.
    I might opt for the pure acetone, as I'm not sure I will get those products so readily living in France. I also read another thread with someone else experiencing the same issue and he used acetone before dabbing the wudtone to get more coverage before using steal wool. I used the dabbing technique on the trouble spots to get better coverage on the first coat and it looks good for the moment. I'll wait to see how it looks after rubbing it back before using the acetone.

While waiting I shaped the heel of the neck to make it smoother. I wasn't a huge fan of how the back of the neck behind the 15th fret had relatively hard angles, so I smoothed them out. I also wasn't a fan of the black dots, so I drilled holes in them and set paua shell in them. I used a hand drill so I couldn't 100% in the middle each time, but I like the way it looks. Ice since filed them smooth too.

With so many builds going on at the moment I missed this one earlier. Speaking as a paisley shirt wearing kind of guy I have to say I like what you are doing.

I have just acquired a silk paisley dressing gown.

Those dots certainly look different. I had light-coloured abalone dot markets on a maple board Tele and they didn't stand out at all well against the maple so I swapped them out for standard black. But the black outline around the dots gives you the best of both worlds - good visibility and a prettier dot.

Be aware that it will soften the binding (and a lot will melt it), so go carefully when getting close to that.
    Yes, good point Simon. I forgot to mention that.
    Sounds like Phoenix has got a handle on it now anyway.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast