Thread: GR1 SF wiring. Cant get rid of the buzz

GR1 SF wiring. Cant get rid of the buzz

Hi all. Hope you can take a look at my wiring. I followed the pitbull diagram and don’t know where I went wrong.
    When i hold the 3 way switch the buzzing is softer, bit still present. Should I bend and solder the unused connection on the back of the pots? Would this assist in earthing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74298B49-5939-4D72-8998-CB1F3C410E75.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	36104  
    Last edited by fotofemme; 21-06-2020 at 08:01 PM.

It is a bit hard to see the detail on the pots, switch & jack socket & the non-consistent colour of the ground wire also makes it a bit hard to follow.
    Is the ground wire attached to the tone pot?
    Cliff

Hey Cliff. Thanks for your reply.

I’ll take closer photos. The diagram I followed didn’t specify which colour wires to use for the earth connections. I think the tone pot earth wire is the brown one attached to the 3 way switch

Does that help?
    Thanks
    Cath
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C0B456C-4C96-43BD-ACD2-9F957CE3D157.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	36105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E67BF8CA-5512-4DED-B675-F46745033B94.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	36106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	735078D5-CA7E-4315-950A-6FE18CF858AF.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	36107  

Have you got a multimeter that does resistance. That would provide some useful checks if we don't spot the problem quickly.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Oh boy, between small photos and your rather unusual choice of wire colours its really hard to follow...
    TBH I am strongly tempted to suggest you take it apart a bit and rewire it with the colours used a bit more consistently. It will make it a lot easier to follow. Not least if you want to make changes in the future...
    But if you have a meter handy or can borrow one - and they are damned cheap these days anyway - what I would start by doing is making sure that the case of every item is connected to the case of every other item, and if you find one that isn't that's certainly a problem.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Thanks guys. I’ll see if I can get my hands on a multimeter

It looks like there's no ground connection from the right-hand tab on the two volume pots back to the casing. You need that to make the volume controls work and it normally cures most buzzing. You've bent one tab back, but they don't look long enough to reach the casing, so use a bit of wire to do that.

See the diagram below:

Name:  ZI9Da.gif
Views: 294
Size:  2.2 KB

Tab 1 needs to be connected to ground on the volume pots. This is missing in the photos.

You've also got several long lengths of grounded shield wire floating about from the pickups. It's very easy for this to touch a signal connection and for you to get silence. If you haven't got any heat shrink, then wrap insulation tape round the bare braid.

You've got some excessive lengths of wire as well,. It will work, but its a lot neater inside if you can shorten them to just a bit longer than is necessary. With longer wires, it's a lot easier for pots to get caught up with the wiring when installing it inside the body.

Hi Simon.

Thanks so much. We were thinking along those lines but as this is the Very first time I’m attempted something like this I wanted advice. Appreciate you taking the time to take a good look. I’ll follow your advice
    Thanks again
    Cath