Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: STA-1M: Second build, this time with upgrades

I could either keep spraying clear coats until I have enough build up to W&D it back flat, or I could block it back, taking off the decal in the process then try again.

I sprayed over the wrinkled sticker - about 5 coats of clear - and the sticker flattened out perfectly. No more wrinkles. Hopefully it will stay flat while the clear dries.

Can't believe it.

....but it didn't. The wrinkles came back, although not as bad as before. Perhaps the answer is to keep spraying clear coats until it does not come back at all.

Another problem surfaced. The black ink on the inkjet decal bled a little.

Here is the first photo of the head with bad wrinkles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strat - Wrinkled decal.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	759.5 KB 
ID:	37552

Here are some photos after the coats of clear. You can see wrinkles from some angles, but from other angles it looks great. The edge of the decal is prominent, but I am hoping it will be less so when I block it back with W&D.

Name:	Head 1 crop.jpg 
Size:	335.6 KB 
ID:	37561

Name:	Head 2 crop.jpg 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	37562

Name:	Head 4 crop.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	37563
    Last edited by Dwubyd; 05-10-2020 at 05:54 PM.

After the recent post from Adam offering free SixStringSupplies pots for people to try and report back on, I went to the SixStringSupplies website and orders pots (push pull volume), 5 way switch, orange drop and cloth wire so I can do their 7 tone wiring set up in the wiring diagrams on their site. Should be arriving soon...

The main thing I needed was the push pull pot, but I thought I would upgrade the whole setup.

I am accumulating a few spare parts that I did not use in the kit builds. Maybe I can do something weird with them.

Update - body polished and ready for parts, back a few steps with the neck

Update: I sanded back the headstock to get the clear flat on top of the decal. I ended up sanding through to the decal. So now I have taken it right off and I am back to base coating. I might do away with the decal. Black does not look ideal - I would prefer a creamy white - but that is not easy with waterslide decals. Anyone got any suggestions here?

The body came up well. Overall it looks flat, reflects well and looks good. However there are several imperfections and if you look close you can see scratched, pin holes and the grain pushing through yet again. I don't mind the grain though. You have to look close to see it and it reminds you of what is underneath. The finish feels super smooth after polishing.

Here is the body before polishing. You can see plenty of orange peel and grain showing through.

Name:	Body 1 shrink.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	392.7 KB 
ID:	37595

This is an overall shot after polish. Looks fine I think.

Name:	Body after polish 1 shrink.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	37596

Here are a few imperfections. I don't want to try to W&D them out because I am worried I will go through the clear. Besides you have to look close to notice them.

Name:	Body after polish 3 shrunk.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	37597

These marks are interesting. I put the body down on a the cardboard box it came in. Even though it had been several days since clearing, the paint was still soft enough to make a mark. Even though the clear is blocked flat and polished the mark still shows, so it must be in the colour coat. I don't mind it though.

Name:	Body after polish 4 shrunk.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	37598

And here you can see the grain showing through. I left it for about 5 days before sanding. After sanding it was perfectly flat and since then the grain has pushed through a bit. Again I don't mind it because you have to look close to see it, and it reminds me that it is wood underneath.

Name:	Body after polish 6 shrunk.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	37599

I love the colour and how shiny it is. Great work.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks TD. I am happy with the colour. I followed Phrozin's instructions on painting with cans.

Final Photos

Wilkinson bridge is great. Whammy bar is nice and snug
    Tonerider PUPs have sweet tone.
    7 way with push pull volume pot using Six String Supplies pots, switch and wiring.
    Bridge pickup is wired to the same tone pot as the mid pickup.

I am very happy with the tone, aesthetics and head shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201224_102231_HDR_resize_26.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	410.2 KB 
ID:	38569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201224_102223~2_resize_11.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	916.7 KB 
ID:	38568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STA-1M Body resize.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	965.1 KB 
ID:	38567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STA-1M Guitar resize.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	537.9 KB 
ID:	38566  

Looks great, and good to hear it's also a player!
    Similar aesthetic to my last build with the metallic blue and white pearloid. You gotta love pearloid.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

**Nodding**

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2