Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help with the wiring of the AGM-3F

need help with the wiring of the AGM-3F

i have looked at countless wiring diagrams for a guitar with 3 humbuckers but i am still very confused and in need of help. if someone could tell me how and where to solder the pickups to i would be very appreciative.

The trouble is there probably are countless different ways to wire up a 3 humbucker guitar, especially if one brings coil taps and phase switches into the equation.

I've looked at the kit page and I'm not altogether clear what's included. 4 pots, 1 switch for sure, but not sure what the plan is to do with them. I suggest that firstly you lay all the components out and give us nice clear photos of the parts as a whole, and also each piece individually, especially the switch.

Also tell us if you have any particular aims for the wiring, or you just want something straightforward. Is there a wiring diagram with the kit you can show us, I couldn't see one on PB list. The standard Gibson wiring gives you neck only, middle and bridge and bridge only, with vol and tone for neck and bridge/middle. I guess that's going to be a safe choice unless you have other requirements.
    Last edited by JimC; 20-06-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Here's the SD wiring diagram for a 3 humbucker guitar. It's the only one they offer and has three volumes and one tone. The pickup lead colours will (probably) be different on the kit pickups but that's all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3H_3G_3V_1T.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	36087

If the output lead insulation is the same on two of then and different on another, then the different one will be the bridge pickup and the other two can go in the neck and middle positions either way round. If there are different colours on all three, you are probably going to have to measure the DC resistance of each pickup, with the highest resistance pickup (probably 8-9k ohms) going in the bridge, the lowest resistance in the neck and the middle value as the mid-position pickup.

If you look at the pots, somewhere on them there should be some white or black text saying A500 (log/audio taper) or B500 (linear taper). Hopefully you've got three A500 and one B500, or maybe all A500. The A500s will be the volume pots, the tone control can be an A or a B type. I prefer A, but B works as well.

If you check out www.guitarelectronics.com they have wiring diagrams for 3 humbuckers. If it's not exactly what you want they will also do a custom wiring schematic for a charge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring-3pupcustom-on-3-pickup-les-paul-wiring-diagram.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	36088
    This was the (claimed) Gibson circuit I found.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    This was the (claimed) Gibson circuit I found.
    Needs a unique switch though. Not sure I've seen one like that at all. Or even how to describe it.

That bottom part of the switch has a N/C (normally closed) contact (top leaf) and a N/O (normally open) contact (bottom) with the middle leaf being the common.

The switch is an Allparts EP-4369-000 or else look for a Switchcraft Switchcraft 3-Way Toggle Switch for 3-Pickup Les Paul. The Allparts switch is the Switchcraft one, but may be easier to find.

Without that particular switch, you can't get the original wiring arrangement, so would have to go for the SD 3-volume system.

It's up to you whether you decide to wire the middle pickup out of phase with the bridge or not. It's an option with 4-wire pickup leads, but with single wire +screen, its not possible, or not without a lot of work and taking the pickup apart and swapping the magnet over. However it's not a great sound, and whilst you may find an occasional use for it, the bridge and middle in-phase would be more useable.

Lets not present the OP with too many options until we know what's in his kit!
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

pretty much all the soldering has been done expect for the wiring and it is a 2 volume 2 tone with a 3-way switch. also the pictures of the components aren't uploading for some reason. sorry about that. the only parts that i need to solder are the pickups.

Photos not uploading could well be too large. You can get resize aps if you are using a phone.

Two vol two tone probably means the standard Gibson circuit or a variation. Going to be hard to assist without knowing whats intended and what the switch does. However to take a punt based on the published Gibson circuit.
    Are there only two wires available from each pickup? If 3, 4 or 5 report colours and stop!
    One wire from each will go to earth ie back of a pot.
    The neck pickup will go to the end tag on the neck volume pot that's already connected to neck tone, the bridge pickup to the equiv on bridge vol. If there's an unused tag on the switch then the middle pickup will go to that. With luck that will get you playable.
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast