Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New 1Tb M.2 SSD drive ordered for my Acer laptop.

New 1Tb M.2 SSD drive ordered for my Acer laptop.

Hey everyone,

Earlier this week, I ordered a new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive for my Acer laptop from an online company called mwave.com.au, I just got an email notification from them today, saying that my order had been dispatched, so hopefully next week it should arrive in the post.

I bought the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive as an upgrade/replacement for the 256Gb M.2 SSD drive that came stock in my Acer laptop when I first bought it from my local Harvey Norman store, I need the extra storage space offered by the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive so I can copy all my music in my desktop pc's music folder, onto my laptop.

Once I get the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive in the post, I'll be documenting the installation of it in this thread for those who may be interested in seeing how to go about doing the upgrade.

Fun times ahead!!!!

1Tb is equal to about 1000 Gigabytes of data.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 19-06-2020 at 10:20 AM.

2. Liked by: dave.king1

I'll be watching with interest to see how the Win 10 migration goes

Definitely interested here, too. My Dell Inspiron all-in-one has a 1TB HDD. It's not particularly noisy - in fact, it's surprisingly quiet - but it is mechanical, and will eventually fail. Plus. SSD is just faster.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    I'll be watching with interest to see how the Win 10 migration goes
    It should be relatively painless, well at least that's what I'm anticipating anyway, since I'm going to be doing a complete clean-install of Windows 10 64 Bit build 2004, once the new 1Tb M.2 SSD drive is installed, but before I do that, I'm going to copy all my wanted data off the 256Gb M.2 SSD drive, onto an external HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by PJSprog View Post
    Definitely interested here, too. My Dell Inspiron all-in-one has a 1TB HDD. It's not particularly noisy - in fact, it's surprisingly quiet - but it is mechanical, and will eventually fail. Plus. SSD is just faster.

Going by my experience that I've had so far with SSD drives, they are practically dead-silent while they are operating, the only thing you'll need to watch out for is that your laptop's motherboard supports SSD drives and has an SSD drive socket on the motherboard.

And yes, SSD drives are a lot faster than mechanical drives, I've noticed that my laptop boots-up faster than my desktop pc, which has four 1Tb 2.5 inch Samsung SSD drives installed in it, but they are connected-up to the motherboard via Sata cables, there is an MSata socket on the motherboard though, I wonder if I can use the 256Gb M.2 SSD drive from my laptop in my desktop pc?
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 20-06-2020 at 03:51 PM.

I just swapped my HDD for an SSD in my desktop today, and it's wild what a difference it made.

To be fair though, the old hard drive was ten years old and really struggling...
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I just swapped my HDD for an SSD in my desktop today, and it's wild what a difference it made.

To be fair though, the old hard drive was ten years old and really struggling...

For sure, you'll also notice how much more reliable the SSD is compared to the old drive, being a device that uses Solid-State technology, an SSD drive doesn't suffer from the same mechanical wear and tear that a conventional HDD does, so it should last a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    For sure, you'll also notice how much more reliable the SSD is compared to the old drive, being a device that uses Solid-State technology, an SSD drive doesn't suffer from the same mechanical wear and tear that a conventional HDD does, so it should last a very long time.
    I've heard this. Also it's so quiet! And small and light (not that I ever have to move the desktop tower, but still)

It was an investment I should have made two months ago before the work from home saga began
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I've heard this. Also it's so quiet! And small and light (not that I ever have to move the desktop tower, but still)

It was an investment I should have made two months ago before the work from home saga began
    When the first SSDs became available, I was a bit skeptical about them having heard that they had a limited number of read/write cycles before they failed, the later-generation SSDs seem to be much better in that regard, soon as I could afford them I decided to switch over to using them after having too many mechanical HDDs go faulty, I lost heaps of wanted data after a 4Tb Sata HDD failed, that's what finally made me decide to switch over to SSDs.

My current PC setup has a SSD as the boot drive containing all the OS stuff and installed programs. I have a couple of larger capacity spinning disks mounted as well, primarily containing my media library, ebooks, games archive etc. All the stuff that would fill the SSD. My home PC doubles as the home media server running Plex. I also have nightly backups that sync all key files to an external USB, and monthly backups that sync the first external USB drive to a second one. The second drive normally lives at work but it's at home too right now.

While this sounds complicated, it means I rarely lose anything by accident. I can still pull up files from 20 years ago if I want them.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast