Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New 1Tb M.2 SSD drive ordered for my Acer laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The Win 10 installer DVD is a matter of interest to me, my desktop pc was an online upgrade from Win 8.1 and my laptop from Win 7 so there are no install disks or serial numbers to work with, does a recovery disk resolve this issue.

Apparently the "free" upgrade is linked to the mac address or some other hard coded id of the motherboard and primary HD.

Swapping out the C drive for any reason scares the hell out of me for this reason

My Acer laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed, but it was an earlier build, I'm not sure if a recovery disc will resolve that issue, since I've never had to use one, I do still have both my old Windows 7 Home Premium discs (32 Bit and 64 Bit), so I was able to use the serial that came with them, when I did the upgrade to Windows 10 on my studio desktop pc.

I've actually found it easiest to just do a google search for the latest Windows 10 installer Iso file from Microsoft's website, and just do a complete backup/re-format/clean-install every 6 months or so.

As far as I understand, when you do the upgrade from Windows 7, or 8, to Windows 10, the serial that was linked to the computers running those versions of Windows, and stored on Microsoft's servers, is used to activate Windows 10 on those devices, I may be wrong though, but as long as Windows 7 and 8 were properly activated on those computers, you shouldn't have any problems, Microsoft offered Windows 10 as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 when it was first released, I took advantage of the offer as soon as I could, haven't had very many problems with activations so far....touchwood.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    As far as I understand, when you do the upgrade from Windows 7, or 8, to Windows 10, the serial that was linked to the computers running those versions of Windows, and stored on Microsoft's servers, is used to activate Windows 10 on those devices, I may be wrong though, but as long as Windows 7 and 8 were properly activated on those computers, you shouldn't have any problems, Microsoft offered Windows 10 as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 when it was first released, I took advantage of the offer as soon as I could, haven't had very many problems with activations so far....touchwood.
    Windows 10 upgrade free is still there and Google is your friend.

Some time back I lost the C drive and motherboard on my desktop PC ( PS went crazy ) and couldn't reinstall Win 10 so I reinstalled the Win 8.1 Pro and then did the upgrade again because of the way the licencing now works, MS were of little assistance almost to the point of being rude and unhelpful

Hence the reason for my interest

Windows 10 upgrade free is still there and Google is your friend.

Some time back I lost the C drive and motherboard on my desktop PC ( PS went crazy ) and couldn't reinstall Win 10 so I reinstalled the Win 8.1 Pro and then did the upgrade again because of the way the licencing now works, MS were of little assistance almost to the point of being rude and unhelpful

Hence the reason for my interest

Hmmm...it's possible that, when the power supply went crazy, some important system files may have gotten corrupted, I think I've had that happen to me at least once, Darwin's power distribution systems used to suffer from power outages a few years ago, sometimes a power surge, or spike, can be enough to cause corrupted files.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Hmmm...it's possible that, when the power supply went crazy, some important system files may have gotten corrupted, I think I've had that happen to me at least once, Darwin's power distribution systems used to suffer from power outages a few years ago, sometimes a power surge, or spike, can be enough to cause corrupted files.
    Don't know how it happened because I have filtered power for my desktop and disconnect all my computer stuff during electrical storms.

By that as it may what got me was the unwillingness of MS to assist with the reinstall of a legitimate Win 10 installation, install wasn't the problem it was the licence, wanted me to go and buy another Win 10 Pro licence

Don't know how it happened because I have filtered power for my desktop and disconnect all my computer stuff during electrical storms.

By that as it may what got me was the unwillingness of MS to assist with the reinstall of a legitimate Win 10 installation, install wasn't the problem it was the licence, wanted me to go and buy another Win 10 Pro licence

If the previous installation was a genuine legitimate Windows 10 installation, and properly activated, then Microsoft should have just gone ahead and let you activate it without asking you to pay for a new license, so far, I haven't had to buy a new license....touchwood, something definitely went wrong with there with that previous install of Windows 10 Pro, I wonder if other Windows 10 Pro owners have had the same issue?

Time for an update:

Okay, so the installation of the new 1Tb SSD in my new Acer Aspire 5 laptop went-off without a hitch, it's been roughly a year since I did the install and so far I have had no major issues with it whatsoever, the whole installation process was relatively easy to do, just undo some screws holding the bottom plastic cover of the laptop in place, then undoing one screw holding the stock 256Gb SSD in place before gently unplugging it from it's socket, to install the new 1Tb SSD it was a simple matter of plugging it into the socket, securing it in place with the small mounting screw, then re-attaching the bottom plastic cover with the rest of the screws, after that I booted the laptop up into it's BIOS (Basic Input Output System) screen to check if it recognized the new 1Tb SSD, it did, so I knew that was a very good sign, all I had to do was a clean-install of Windows 10, which gave me no problems, I did have to get Windows setup to do a format/partition, but after that the installation procedure continued as normal, and then my laptop booted normally into Windows 10.

7. Liked by: PJSprog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3