Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AGD-612L - Doubleneck Left handed !!

Thank you Colin2121. happy to hear Tru-Oil work for fix as well! i love this product. as i get more experienced with it each time i lke how coats built slowly and make it a really "forgiving" product in case you mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingmike11 View Post
    i agree with you about glucose syrup but this particular built i wanted to have clean and neet finish. As basswod is easy to dent, i was aiming for minimum protective finish vs. not going too glossy without going opaq color.
    I am very close now to what i was going for initially.
    I don't mean there is anything particularly wrong with the thick high gloss finish you get on commercially-made guitars, it's more that if you want to go down that path, it's extremely difficult to pull off convincingly, unless you have the expertise and facilities to do it.
    And definitely, the ability to easily repair scratches is a big plus.
    That's actually one of the lesser-known advantages of French Polishing; although the finish is fairly easy to damage, it's also easy to repair.

3. Liked by: Wingmike11

Anyone knows what wax i should use to keep my necks as close to the wood as possible as on my EVH Wolfgang Standard?

https://reverb.com/p/evh-wolfgang-wg...rd-quilt-maple

I have read that 1 or 2 coats of Tru-oil lightly sanded with 0000 steel wool wopud do the job but, i would rather have no oil at all on the necks.

No finish on necks isn't a good idea as there's nothing to stop them being instantly being affected by changes in humidity, including sweat/moisture from your hands. So you'll get a lot of neck movement as a result and you'll have to constantly adjust the truss rods to compensate. Especially as the kit necks won't use the best quality quarter-sawn timber for the necks.

The EVH has a satin polyurethane finished neck, so you could get a can of that and apply a couple of coats. Or you could use a few applications of TruOil.

I'm assuming the necks are maple. That's a very hard wood with microscopic pores, so it doesn't absorb much of any finish, so two or three applications should be all you need. I'd also thin the TruOil down with turpentine to about 50:50 to get smoother, thinner, coats on the neck. It may wear off over time, but it's easy to apply another coat or two when it looks very worn. Rubbing it down with 0000 wire wool or P2500 sandpaper once it's cured for a month or so will give a satin feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The EVH has a satin polyurethane finished neck, so you could get a can of that and apply a couple of coats. Or you could use a few applications of TruOil
    As i am not familiar with Polyurethane, i will follow your advice and continue with TruOil as you proposed.

Again gentlemen, your input is much appreciated!

As an update,

I reveiced few parts including the Grovers Tuner (305 series) and can confirm they will fit the built.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6834.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	36484
    Restring session will sure be a bummer but, i'll manage

Also put my hands on more Tru-Oil after few weeks of being held back by this lack of oil. Might sound weird depending on where you guys read this form, but in my area (Montreal, Canada), Tru-Oil is either found over eBay.ca or at big store for camping, outdoor, fishing and hunting. As on all website i know including this store (close to my place and the online same store) were out of stocks for over a month.
    Today, i saw online the same store, but an hour drive from my place, had about 12 bottles!!!
    "They were all hidden on the same shelf, waiting for me", the vendor wasn't sure looking at me dancing in the aisle...
    (i dance like a stone!)

I bought 3 bottless, so i make sure to not be slowed down again but lack of ressources...
    The only missing stuff now, is the custom truss rod cover plates and some spare time to finish the layers of oil and start asking about neck position and shim!

bye for now!

Hi Colin2121,

thank you for your interest.
    Unfortunately, the built is not moving forward as fast as i would like (spare time is rare ressources this summer), but i manage to built the Tru-Oil layers to a satifying level if i ever want to play on the thing in 2020

I had to sans off some drips along th way again, but Tru-oil being so forgiven, i manage to be almost finished now with applying oil.

Actually in the middle of the "3 weeks" drying time as this extraordinary hot and sunny summer we are having up in Montreal keeps my home a bit humid as mentioned earlier....

some pics of the "forgiving coats";

Name:	aa.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	36972

Name:	ab.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	36973

Name:	ae.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	36974

After about 4 light coats brought me here;

Name:	ad.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	36975

3 more lights coats brought it even to the rest like nothing never happened.
    I finished with 0000 light sand before the global final coat, that now dries for about 10 days. (more pictures of final product to come)

All hardware is arrived, waiting for the oil to hardened so i can start assembly when drying time is over....

Can someone tell me what this whole is for?

Name:	af.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	36976

That hole is for the drill bit to go through to drill the connecting holes between the pick-up cavities.

Hi Wingmike,
    Looking good. Got a great shine on it.
    I know what you mean about having time. I'm retired and still cannot find the time I want.
    As Blinddrew indicated about the hole, it was to get a long bit through. It gets covered by the neck and the pick-up.

Quote Originally Posted by colin2121 View Post
    As Blinddrew indicated about the hole, it was to get a long bit through. It gets covered by the neck and the pick-up.

Oh man🤦🏻*♂️
    it felt like i would feel stupid once i would know. Now it seem obvious, but to my defence i only built 2 guitars so far and they were set-neck so.....😁

thank you very much gentlemen for your reply.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast