Thread: Confused about nut sizes

Confused about nut sizes

Sorry, there comes another dumb question from the uber noob...

I'm currently fighting building some (non PB) Les Paul kit. I removed the old nut and blindly ordered a TusQ "for Gibson" which is a PT-6000-00.

The string spacing matches, but the old nut is higher and thicker. But I haven't found any other TusQ nut that would closely resemble the old one. It measures: 42.5mm length, 7.5mm height and 6mm width.

So should I get something that most closely matches this measurements or should I better get one that is for a Gibson Les Paul and ignore that it is lower and thinner?

Thanks and kinds regards!
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

I found one that is kinda close to my "old" nut:
    https://www.thomann.de/de/graph_tech...pt_6643_00.htm

But I'm still not sure if I should get this or get a "proper" one for a Les Paul, regardless of dimensions?

There are no real 'proper' nuts for Les Pauls, just nuts that fit the guitar you have,. LP nuts have varied over the years. There are basically the much thinner 'Fender-style' nuts than sit in a slot and 'Gibson-style' (or rather Classical style) nuts that sit at the end of the fretboard.

You really want a nut that is as wide or just wider than your fretboard, has enough height so that the basic nut slots (which will undoubtedly need to sit lower to the fretboard than the kit nut), and be deep enough to fill the gap the old nut left. A little bit wider or deeper and you can sand or file the nut to fit. The kit nuts are almost always far too tall, but leave room to be lowered.

One question is whether you are happy with a black nut, or would a white bone one look better with your planned finish?

Thanks so much Simon, I'd be lost without your help

Good call on the nut color. I think I could use either way, but I guess a black one would be less distracting as the finish is already a bit flashy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200616_142813.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	323.6 KB 
ID:	35960