Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The dumbest thing that ever happened to you while building your guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Sometimes it was just opening the box.......

Same build fell off the work bench top face down onto concrete floor just after final polish! Perfect if I wanted a reliced look but sadly it took another 6 weeks to bring it back up to same glassy finish. That was probably more clumsy than dumb but still felt the same.
    Um... https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...endan%27s+pb-4 - check post #99.

Brendan, if you right click on the thread post number e.g. #99 and select 'copy link location' (in Windows), you can then paste that and you'll get taken directly to the post you want.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ll=1#post38942

3. Liked by: Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    I'm assuming that polishing through the finish and having to redo it is just considered a standard learning point, but what about doing it twice in succession in exactly the same place?
    In my experience when sanding curved surfaces there will always be some places that get sanded more heavily than others. So I suspect its more likely than not that a second bald spot will be in the same place as the first.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Well, I've just discovered that I've managed to throw away the bridge and a couple of bridge pins from a friend's acoustic guitar I was setting up for him. I normally put all the pieces safe in their own own box, but didn't think I'd be long on it so didn't bother and just put them on a side table. But then we decided that I'd fit some better tuners (it's just a basic Ibanez V50NJP) that were spare from one of my SG builds. So that meant some hole plugging, colouring and lacquering over; which took a few days to do. In the meantime I must have moved some stuff on the side table and the bridge and some pins fell off. Unfortunately not onto the floor (well one bridge pin did), but into the waste paper bin next to it. Which got empted on Tuesday before bin collection day, and so they are no more.

Went to set up the guitar today and no bridge and only three bridge pins. Found one pin on the floor, (which is why I'm sure the others fell in the bin) but nothing else. I had a spare set of bridge pins, but the only acoustic bone saddle blank I had was too narrow for the slot (at 2.5mm) and very wobbly. So I can't return it tomorrow as planned. The saddle is also 76mm long, whereas most saddles seem to be 72mm (at least pre-shaped replacements), so thicker (3mm) bone blanks have been ordered and more bridge pins that are similar to the originals.

Not one of my brightest moves.

I have a terrible feeling that my dial caliper went the same way.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3