Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: First build Explorer EXM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    Love how this is turning out. Really similar to my EXM project (matte black with actives), but I'll be happy if mine came out half as good as this looks so far.
    I think the main thing is the surface and grainfilling. This took the most time. The grainfiller that I had smelled very toxic, so it was difficult to work with in my conditions.

And I found a nice video on youtube, its called "Nitro Guitar Finish Tutorial", very helpful and well explained.
    I used the same grainfiller and followed the steps for grainfilling.

You don't need to put a clear coat on at all. I'd put more coats of the black on. I'd only spray matt clear on say the headstock if you are putting a decal on it, which needs clear coats to protect it. Otherwise it's much easier to keep the finish you want just using the black paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Nice little spray booth you made there.

Looking good too me. It’s easy to be over-critical of your own work, but I’m sure it will be just fine.
    You are right. But you know there is this feeling, maybe I should have spent a bit more time on this and that, a bit more patience, it's hard

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You don't need to put a clear coat on at all. I'd put more coats of the black on. I'd only spray matt clear on say the headstock if you are putting a decal on it, which needs clear coats to protect it. Otherwise it's much easier to keep the finish you want just using the black paint.
    Yeah, it was some back and forth thinking. Honestly I also tend to stay with the black only. Clear coats are sometimes unpredictable, I think...

Also paint layers cover up any imperfections or dust in the layer beneath, but with clear coats, any trapped dust or dirt or marks stay visible. It’s worse with light colours, but to do clear over paint well, you do need very good dust-free conditions for spraying.

Good point! Especially in cellar conditions...

How many coats would you recommend? I have two coats of primer and about two of black now...

I think I’d use six coats of black in total. Six coats is what Phrozin would normally suggest.

Cool. Will head for some more black cans.

Added two more coats of black...
    Now it becomes the way I wanted it

Especially the last coat, which is about the fifth coat, added an evenly surface...
    This time I reduced the spraying distance...and I think this had a positive effect...

Before that I sprayed at about 25-30cm...now I got closer, at about 20cm and less, and this brought of course more colorsubstance to the surface and gave it the evenness, which after the 4th, still uneven, coat I didnt expect to appear...

I think about giving he 6th coat for more evenly surface protection, but am afraid of making a mistake and distroying the whole thing So now it is quiet perfect and maybe I should stop...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black6.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	602.9 KB 
ID:	37608

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black7.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	648.2 KB 
ID:	37609

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Looks great and yeah, quitting while you are ahead can often be the best idea.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

11. Liked by: Alexej

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast