Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MXR Cae Boost / Line Driver clone

Also, I forgot to mention that the idea of combining a boost and buffer is great. Almost no extra parts compared to my buffer-only pedal. I have a boost built into my OD-2, but that's at the wrong end of my signal chain coming after all the other drive pedals. So I mostly use it to push the amp. I use the level on the Orange Squeezer as an almost clean boost in front of the gain pedals.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Looks great!

I have never thought of putting a signature decal inside the enclosure. Occasionally I remember to scrawl my initials and date in barely legible handwriting, but usually I have insulation tape all around "just in case".
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Looks great!

I've been thinking of making up little stickers to put inside mine, with the date and what # pedal I'm up to.

I made a pedal last year where I sprayed the inside with primer and then cream paint, so nothing could short on it. It looks great, but took a bit of time.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Looks great!

I've been thinking of making up little stickers to put inside mine, with the date and what # pedal I'm up to.

I made a pedal last year where I sprayed the inside with primer and then cream paint, so nothing could short on it. It looks great, but took a bit of time.
    Would it take longer than painting the outside? I would thread a metal nut onto string, thread that through one of the top jack holes then hang the pedal to paint. And then prime and paint the whole enclosure at once. Shouldn't take much extra time at all. Unless of course you use powdercoated enclosures.

But again, I have never done this. Just thinking out loud.

Yeah that's how I'd do it if the inside and out were the same colour. I was doing a black pedal, and I guess I could have done the inside black too, but the cream looks pretty classy.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

I'm fairly happy just if the outside looks half presentable

You obviously want the back to make a good electrical contact with the main case, so you'd need to scrape away the edges if you just painted the inside and out at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You obviously want the back to make a good electrical contact with the main case, so you'd need to scrape away the edges if you just painted the inside and out at the same time.
    Good point. In that case I would also cover the screw threads with tape and after painting scrape/sand the paint out of the countersinks on the back so you will get a good connection through the 4 screws. Maybe also file the paint from the inside of the pot and jack holes, as the case is usually earthed through the 6.5mm jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    True. I just taped the edges but that's a bit easier when you're doing one side at a time.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast