Thread: Notched straight edge for bass

Notched straight edge for bass

Hi everyone,
    I have built a bass awhile ago and the action needs attention and thought I would fix it now that I have an amp for it so I can learn it. It is 432mm from the inside of the nut to the 12th fret crown and there are 24 frets. If you can use the other side for a 7 string strat or something else great because I will always keep building

I got one from pablopepper for a gib and fend but can't message him?

Here is the post on the forum...

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ighlight=alkay

If someone could help that would be great? Thank you.

Cheers,
    Alkay.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Pablo doesn't appear to be on the forum any more. Not sure what happened. You can buy suitable notched straight edges from lots of different places. It should be the same as a Fender 34". Ebay link here.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOTCHED-...-/131803388753
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Ok thank you Sonic Mtn,

I'll check it out thank you.

Cheers,
    Alkay

Or get a strait piece of steel or aluminium, a file and make your own. You don't need to be overly accurate as the notches only need to straddle the frets. As long as you have a flat piece of the edge sitting on the fretboard, it will do the job. You can use the bass's own frets to mark the notch positions.

But a notched straight edge is really for use in setting the neck straight so that you can check whether the frets are level or not. Once you are happy they are, or you decide they aren't and have levelled and re-profiled the frets, then the straight edge takes no real further part in the set up process.

You can use it for seeing how much of a concave or convex curve the neck has under tension, but holding the strings down at the first and last frets tells you the same thing.

5. Liked by: PJSprog

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Or get a strait piece of steel or aluminium, a file and make your own. You don't need to be overly accurate as the notches only need to straddle the frets. As long as you have a flat piece of the edge sitting on the fretboard, it will do the job. You can use the bass's own frets to mark the notch positions.

But a notched straight edge is really for use in setting the neck straight so that you can check whether the frets are level or not. Once you are happy they are, or you decide they aren't and have levelled and re-profiled the frets, then the straight edge takes no real further part in the set up process.

You can use it for seeing how much of a concave or convex curve the neck has under tension, but holding the strings down at the first and last frets tells you the same thing.
    Hello Simon,

Thank you once again. Makes perfect sense. I have read different approaches using credit card to get the action correct and many different ways on different guitars....I just thought a straight edge would be be precise and then do intonation. Seasons change so there is always expansion and contraction. I have to do it with my Ibz its got a floating bridge. Great ideas you said...make my own straight edge....

Cheers,

Alkay.