Thread: Fender coronado type build

Fender coronado type build

A fender coronado kit would be really cool!!!

i would love one too! especially if having a maple fretboard was an option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200716_175241__01.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	36507

Talk about a guitar that has gotten more popular since it went out of production. Mine is a 1968 that I got in the mid 1970's from a pawn shop for $90. It was banged up and missing the bridge, but otherwise in decent shape. I used a floating Gibson TOM on it until I found a used original bridge for $30 in an Angela's Instruments catalog. It's still all original but for an additional string tree that someone added and a hard trapeze tailpiece that I put on it when I was in high school. I still have the original tremolo tailpiece, but have not used it since the '70s because it won't stay in tune if you do.

It still sounds great, and the older I get the more I love how light it is. The single coils are a little noisy, but that is "stock" too.

Styled after the original these would really be something different in the PB lineup. The originals were bolt-on neck, thinline hollow bodies designed by Roger Rossmeissl and equiped with DeArmond single coils, that are sort of like P-90s but not as hot. The new style is a bit more like an ES 335 or a Gretsch. They look cool, but I would not trade mine in for one.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post

Name:	IMG_20200716_175241__01.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	36507

Talk about a guitar that has gotten more popular since it went out of production. Mine is a 1968 that I got in the mid 1970's from a pawn shop for $90. It was banged up and missing the bridge, but otherwise in decent shape. I used a floating Gibson TOM on it until I found a used original bridge for $30 in an Angela's Instruments catalog. It's still all original but for an additional string tree that someone added and a hard trapeze tailpiece that I put on it when I was in high school. I still have the original tremolo tailpiece, but have not used it since the '70s because it won't stay in tune if you do.

It still sounds great, and the older I get the more I love how light it is. The single coils are a little noisy, but that is "stock" too.

Styled after the original these would really be something different in the PB lineup. The originals were bolt-on neck, thinline hollow bodies designed by Roger Rossmeissl and equiped with DeArmond single coils, that are sort of like P-90s but not as hot. The new style is a bit more like an ES 335 or a Gretsch. They look cool, but I would not trade mine in for one.
    You've definitely got a gem on your hands there! sounds like a great guitar!

Hello. I am looking for a Fender Coronado copy, I have a Teisco Coronado. It's a bit cracked and abused. A luthier replaced the neck with a stratocaster type neck, So I've got the spare neck, but would be nice to have a kit type body to go with it. Thanks alot. HallvaršurClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Vardiphone 2014.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	45097

Looks a bit like the "wildwood" Coronados. I had in mind doing something similar with a bass. My "Laureado" bass uses a Fender Jazz bass neck and an ES-335 bass body. I haven't found anywhere that sells a bolt-on thinline or semi-hollow body for a fender neck. I had to modify the body to accept a fender neck. Since the scales are different with Fenders and Gibsons, the bridge will most likely also have to move. Here's the finished product in its case...

Name:	laureado.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	45098

You can see some more details on how I did the mod to get an ES body to accept a Fender neck here...

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ck+gibson+body

If you don't want to go to that much trouble, you might consider the PitBull ES-TL1 kit, which is like the Gibson Trini Lopez version of the ES-335. Unlike the Coronado, it has a center block, Gibson scale and a glue-on neck. Like the coronado six-on-the-top tuners and Fenderesque headstock. The ES-TL1s don't seem to be in stock at the moment, but you could ask Tim when he thinks they may be back. Custom orders are down at the moment, but when they are back up he might be willing to get you just the body if you want to use your neck.

Thanks a lot Pretty awesome bass