Thread: Seeking a handicap

Seeking a handicap

Hi folks,

I'm just now placing an order for a YB-4 fretless bass kit. It won't arrive for a few months, sadly, as it's on the slow boat.

But I'm keen to get into building. I'm going to try a couple of things along the way to customise the look of it and see how we go. I've played piano and saxophone for about 30 years but no string instruments, but this year I've ended up being my 11 year old daughter's bass teacher. It's mostly fine as I can work out what's going on with her band music, but I'm getting towards the point where I need to have some more intimate know-how of technique.

So I figure if I start on a full-scale fretless bass, and she's on her short-scale Hofner violin bass, I'll have to stretch my hands out about as much as she does, plus I'll have a bit of a handicap so I learn a bit slower. More like her pace. (Plus, fretless bass is cool.)

So I'm going to lurk here for a few months before I get into it properly.

Sam.

Oh, and since I forgot to mention: I'm Sam, from Sydney, Australia.

And since I'm following up with additional things, I've got a question about the forums: I've tried searching a few times for model names, (e.g., "YB-4") but the forum software tells me that it's too short a word to search on. Is there a way of searching out model numbers so I can find the people who have built similar things to what I'm going to be doing?

Welcome, and good luck!

Hi and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by freney View Post
    Is there a way of searching out model numbers so I can find the people who have built similar things to what I'm going to be doing?
    Not with the forum search engine. It's just a standard forum template, nothing bespoke, and the search engine isn't any good for the short model names used by PBG.

You can always use Google to search within the forum. Go to Google then type in "www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum YB-4" (without the quotes), or add your own specific search terms to narrow things down as you'll get a lot of hits.

Or go to the finished guitar gallery and look up the YB-4 builds shown there. The gallery is arranged in alphabetcal mpdel name so its' the last page (currently only two YB-4s in the gallery). https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=2327

You should then be able to look at forum posts by the builder (left click on their name), and look for their build diary (if they did one).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The gallery is arranged in alphabetcal model name
    Now that's handy info. Ta.

Hi Sam,
    Welcome to the forum.
    This is the only YB-4 bass diary I know of - https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=2112
    Bass Guy has done some very nice basses - his threads have some of his handiwork over the years - https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...earchid=900006

All the best
    Colin

Welcome to the forum. Here's another YB-4 build, although she kept her frets.
    Scott.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar

Thanks folks, I appreciate it.