Thread: Build #1 Prs guitar

Build #1 Prs guitar

So i bought a Prs clone Harley Benton from Thomann. its Basswood with no veneer.
    the idea was to stain the basswood or if i was lucky i could find some veneer and try to glue that on the top. but after many hours searching Google i settle with the idea with just staining the basswood and tru oil from Crimson guitar or polyrethean

i also bought some woodstain from Crimson Guitars.

so lets begin

the delivery

then i made a mock-build, its my first build so i have a hard time finding things that wrong, it will come later in the progress

a closeup on the body

so i had a great idea to stain the top black and then sand it down so will the grain pop-up... not a great idea. but the black looks good

later i sanded it all of.... because the black just got in the pours, not in the grain. lessons learned, but that was the idea with this build.

The idea right now is too use amber on the bottom and neck. then on the top i try to make a blend using amber, brown and cherry red.
    first time im doing this, but here is try #1

this is where i am today. will i go with tru oil or poly? i have not started with the neck...

I like the job you've done on the stain
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

7. Liked by: phrozin

Is this a one piece body? Kinda cool!
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

i think i found 3 pieces in the body. but they are pretty similar in colour and grain pattern.

didnt like the stainjob.. so i sanded the front down and redid the stain. dont know if it went better, but i decided to oil the guitar after that.

here is pictures of the new stain and oil coats(done with crimson guitars deep penetration oil).

but i think the result is, good from far, far from good. so lets see if i will redo it again some day.
    Last edited by Kristian; 03-12-2020 at 03:26 AM.

11. Liked by: dave.king1

I actually really like the aged/used look without going relic. With the hardware fitted it will change again, Play it, enjoy it, wear it in
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge