Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: DMS-1 The King's 4th Pitbull build

Ok. So here is my weight after carving a massive swimming pool under the pickguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Oli.
    So over a kilo lighter! that's quite a bit.
    Wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference.
    ...and you left heavy duty strap on also. SB will be having palpitations.

cheers, Mark.

4. Liked by: OliSam

Update: So I left the old strings on in case I ran into the same issues I had with my first Trem-King installation.
    First thing I noticed was the 'creaking' strings that developed soon after stringing them up.
    Initially when this occurred on the first it was soon followed by a series of different strings breaking.

The last couple of days I noticed that the 'creaking' had disappeared...
    But then today, a whole week after stringing up, I broke a 'D' string shortly followed by a 'B' string.

I think there is definitely a 'breaking in' period to installing a Trem-King.
    It may be getting the springs to settle in. Trem-King action on the previous build is noticeably smoother and lighter than this one and I've had no strings breaking since the breaking in period.

cheers, Mark.

Worth getting some cheap Artist strings as sacrificial strings for initial use, then putting some decent ones on once it's all settled down.

However I can't help feel that there must be small rough edges on the trems that are causing the initial string breaks, which then get worn away, as I've never had that on any other new trem system.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Worth getting some cheap Artist strings as sacrificial strings for initial use, then putting some decent ones on once it's all settled down.

However I can't help feel that there must be small rough edges on the trems that are causing the initial string breaks, which then get worn away, as I've never had that on any other new trem system.
    Hi Simon, hopefully I won't be breaking that many strings.

I used strings that I've just removed from my TL1-R as a replacement.

Probably leave it as is for now. See if the other 4 strings decide to let go.
    If it repeats on the strings that I replace, it will be coming apart for some inspection.

cheers, Mark.

Another thought that crossed my mind as I was nodding off last night...dangerous I hear you cry.

On both occasions I fitted 'used' strings. Probably already having a weakened area at the bridge end.

So maybe would be quite a good idea to fit new but cheaper strings first.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    Another thought that crossed my mind as I was nodding off last night...dangerous I hear you cry.

On both occasions I fitted 'used' strings. Probably already having a weakened area at the bridge end.

So maybe would be quite a good idea to fit new but cheaper strings first.

cheers, Mark.
    Yeah. Prestretched strings often don’t like being restretched. The thing to check would be where are they breaking. You will probably be able to work out why once you pinpoint where they break.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22