Thread: Tuneomatic Tailpiece. Glue or no Glue.

Tuneomatic Tailpiece. Glue or no Glue.

Hi guys, quick question about the Tuneomatic Tailpiece. Do you glue the posts into the body? I've repaired 2 guitars where the posts have pulled out over time.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Not as a rule. They are an interference fit and should be fine. I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted to.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

That's what I'm thinking too Sonic. The 2 that pulled out were old guitars. The timber would of dried out over time and that's when they let go.

I would advise against gluing them. However, if you do, use a very small amount. Like say a couple of small drops of woodworkers glue (Titebond or similar) applied to each post with a toothpick. Do not use CA.
    If you ever need to remove them in future and they are completely glued in, there is an increased risk of damaging the wood of finish.

As sonic said, these are meant to be friction-fit. I suggest taking up the slack by wrapping the posts with something like a thin tape so that will make them fit snug. Snug is all you need. Copper shielding tape can work well for these kinds of fixes.

There are other methods to fix this issue, but "shimming" is the quickest and easiest.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I would advise against gluing them. However, if you do, use a very small amount. Like say a couple of small drops of woodworkers glue (Titebond or similar) applied to each post with a toothpick. Do not use CA.
    If you ever need to remove them in future and they are completely glued in, there is an increased risk of damaging the wood of finish.

As sonic said, these are meant to be friction-fit. I suggest taking up the slack by wrapping the posts with something like a thin tape so that will make them fit snug. Snug is all you need. Copper shielding tape can work well for these kinds of fixes.

There are other methods to fix this issue, but "shimming" is the quickest and easiest.
    Thanks McCreed. Very true. I'll just push them in without the glue.