Thread: Any strong and durable kind of sealer/lacquer that can go over wax?

Any strong and durable kind of sealer/lacquer that can go over wax?

I know the answer is probably "none!", but I would like to ask anyway :-)

I used some kind of colored wax to fill the grain of the back of this guitar, just to distract from the fact that the timber does not match at all, color wise, and to make it a bit more interesting than plain black.

I wiped off all of the excess so the wax is only left in the open wood pores.

Now, what kind of finish could I put over this? I suppose tru oil would work, but if there would be any chance to use some poly, it would be great ;-)

Is there any sealer that would stick to the back, and could be covered by poly? Maybe dewaxed shellac?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200610_192751.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	630.0 KB 
ID:	35674
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Shellac normally works with anything, but I don't know how well it would stick on top of a waxed surface. Wax is never a good idea with guitars, and at most, only on top of a finish, never underneath. It may appear to stick now, then start peeling off after a while.

Any wax or polish with silicone in it will ruin your chances of ever putting a finish on the top.

I've never tried putting a finish over standard wax, but I simply can't think it would be any good, as there is no strong bond between the wax and the wood. It's just sitting in the pores.

I'm testing my luck and applied Birchwood Casey Gunstock Sealer & Filler over it. So far it seems to stick well and no reaction with the wax - yet.

No idea what is in this stuff, but the MSDS reads like it's not the most friendly substance:
    https://birchwoodcasey.com/files/dat...6%20Filler.pdf

No worse than a lot of other fillers that aren't water-based. California goes over the top with cancer warnings. But always treat it with respect and don't sniff the fumes. Not the ideal product to apply indoors, so keep a window open if you can.

You might want to take a look at YouTube on crayon finishes. Unfortunately a lot to them look like they use epoxy. I saw one with CA glue that was sort of interesting...and probably the least toxic...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yes, I also stumbled over the CA finishes yesterday and I think I'm gonna try it one day, pretty cool!

Let's hope that the poly keeps on sticking to the sealer...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    Let's hope that the poly keeps on sticking to the sealer...
    Please post the result. Keeping fingers crossed (Druecken die Daumen)

Have you tried to wash the body with acetone it will take the wax off then try use the finish you want on it, what sort of finish do you want it's hard to give you a solid answer with out knowing what your trying achieve 😀

I wanted to do a ceruse finish. A few tries, sanded the body back like 5 times, now I used acrylic paint to fill the pores.
    So if you want to try, wax seems to work with oil based polyurethan lacquer (which I don't have) but the water based polycrylic lacquer doesn't like the combination.