Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does anybody make a 5 string Flying V Bass?

I'd be most concerned about the scale length. The factory should match the neck to the body, so an issue like having the wrong neck pocket shape should be obvious enough to be caught.

But with that larger heel, I'm not sure there will be room on the body for the bridge at the correct scale length.
    1. GS-2Q
    2. EXM-1 custom
    3. GMS-7F

Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    All I can say is I hope you have a strong left arm and shoulder. It’s going to be very neck heavy.
    Yes, you are correct, the V body shape has advantages and disadvantages, however think I can handle the neck dive. I’m an eccentric...I like heavy guitars, too even though most players do not.

A 2” thick mahogany TeleCaster body with a Warmoth “Fatback” neck, tall stainless steel frets would be another dream guitar. It doesn’t exist - most players would hate it but I think the sustain and sound would be unbelievable....but I digress....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    I'd be most concerned about the scale length. The factory should match the neck to the body, so an issue like having the wrong neck pocket shape should be obvious enough to be caught.

But with that larger heel, I'm not sure there will be room on the body for the bridge at the correct scale length.
    Hmmm...that’s interesting. I guess if they bury the neck deeper in the body closer to the rear strap pin, that would be an epic screw-up, lol! Both kits, the V and the MM are 34” scale so I hope bridge placement on the body won’t be an issue. All they should need to do is route out the neck pocket a little wider to fit the 5 string neck....if they go in deeper, yeah that’d be bad.

I don’t know why they would do that....it looks like we’ll find out!

I poked around and looked at various V basses on the internet and it seems there’s room on most of those examples to move the bridge almost an inch further back. I realize this is a different project, but hopefully there’ll be a margin for error.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5474B4DC-463A-4594-9EF9-F56D5576F2C1.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	36553
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 19-07-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2