Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous pedal projects

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    The Space Spiral is one I've never heard of before, since it uses a PT2399 IC, I'm going to assume that it's a delay effect of some sort, looks really interesting so I wouldn't mind building one.
    Yeah, it's a modulated delay. Not sure what sort of modulation it does to the repeats though. The Deep Blue Delay also uses the PT2399. What I like about it is that the original signal doesn't go through the digital chip, only the repeats do.

A lot of the time, most of these complex pedal projects can be broken-down into much more simpler parts, a complex circuit such as the Space Spiral, is nothing more than a whole heap of much simpler circuits connected together, if you can understand how the simpler circuits work, then you can understand how they all work together as part of a more complex circuit.
    I have started to get a handle on that by studying drive pedals, identifying the common elements and differences and so on. For myself, it's not the circuit complexity or understanding how it works that puts me off the larger stripboard builds. It's simply the concentration needed to get it right. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I relax my expectation of how long a build should take.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Yeah, it's a modulated delay. Not sure what sort of modulation it does to the repeats though. The Deep Blue Delay also uses the PT2399. What I like about it is that the original signal doesn't go through the digital chip, only the repeats do.

I have started to get a handle on that by studying drive pedals, identifying the common elements and differences and so on. For myself, it's not the circuit complexity or understanding how it works that puts me off the larger stripboard builds. It's simply the concentration needed to get it right. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I relax my expectation of how long a build should take.

I'm a bit like that too, there's part of me that's a real perfectionist when it comes to building things, and sometimes I can get a bit too obsessive about making something perfect and it has often gotten in the way of me finishing something, I've been in the process of training myself out of being so perfectionistic about things.

I'm a bit like that too, there's part of me that's a real perfectionist when it comes to building things, and sometimes I can get a bit too obsessive about making something perfect and it has often gotten in the way of me finishing something, I've been in the process of training myself out of being so perfectionistic about things.
    I am quite relaxed about cosmetic failures, but not at all relaxed about functional ones. "This damn thing will work even if it takes me forever" is a thought I am fairly familiar with.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

A lot of the time, most of these complex pedal projects can be broken-down into much more simpler parts, a complex circuit such as the Space Spiral, is nothing more than a whole heap of much simpler circuits connected together, if you can understand how the simpler circuits work, then you can understand how they all work together as part of a more complex circuit.
    Yeah, that's kind of how I've been trying to tackle projects as they get more complex. There's usually good info online, or at least a read of the datasheets gives a clue as to whats happening. I'm still completely baffled by the whole thing, but when I look back at how confused I was when I started I can see some progress.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I am quite relaxed about cosmetic failures, but not at all relaxed about functional ones. "This damn thing will work even if it takes me forever" is a thought I am fairly familiar with.
    Ha ha ha, yep. I've started factoring in like 80% extra time for troubleshooting
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

With my most recent failure with the EQ mod to the FW-808, I was quite a lot more relaxed. I just left the pedal for a day and came back to it with a new idea which turned out to work quite well. So there is hope for me yet!

Decided to add this to the growing list:

https://www.coda-effects.com/2017/12...-t-preamp.html

Will order the PCB but will probably have to wait until next pay to buy the other bits I need - daycare fees have come back, so my very small window of having spare cash has apparently closed
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Got another haul from Tayda this afternoon, so I can finish a few of the pedals I have on the go. I bought the 1590DD enclosure for the Purgatory Pedal, which is honestly just such a ludicrously huge enclosure. The only reason I need one so large is the 450V capacitor, so I should have just swapped the capacitor for a smaller one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tayda haul 1.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	36295

Name:	tayda haul 2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	36296
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Got a bit done in my lunch break today. Drilled the enclosures for the Parasit Theremin Fuzz and the Valvecaster. I almost drilled the huge enclosure for the Purgatory pedal too, but when I looked at the Tayda site again I realised the 1590XX was what i had meant to buy, so I will order that next pay (and a 100V capacitor to replace the giant 450V one)

Will finish the wiring for these tonight, but won't spray them until next week. Thinking of trying decals for these as I can't get in to Megalo to print yet.

Name:	Build1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	36328

Name:	Build2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	36329

Name:	Build3.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	36330

Name:	Artemis.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	36327
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

All boxed up, and both working fine. The Thermin fuzz is wild - I think I'll use it quite a lot. The Valvecaster is quite good too.

Name:	Pedals.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	36334
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)