Thread: Capacitor Question

Capacitor Question

Hi guys,

I'm going to wire up my guitar like in the diagram. Do I need inline capacitors or can I get away using the ones that come with the kit? (soldered to the tone pot)
    thanks, Rod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	35638  

Hi Rod.
    You will likely need to extend one of the "legs" of most any capacitor with a bit of wire in order to reach between the mechanical components (eg: pot to switch). I don't know what value the kit caps are, but they would certainly be appropriate for most standard guitar circuits, so the caps provided in the kit (presuming there are two) will be fine.

Whilst there are recommended values for this & that, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I think his question (correct me if I'm wrong) is, is it OK to leave the capacitor between the Tone Pot and Ground, or if he needs to move it to between the Switch and the Tone Pot.

In other words: the capacitor is in series with the tone pot (resistor) so, does it matter if the capacitor is on the switch side or the ground side of the pot?

I just asked the Electrical Engineer sitting next to me and he said it shouldn't matter. I hope that's the case as the diagrams I've used show the capacitor wired directly to ground, after the pot, which is how I just wired my harness.

Capacitors respond to changes in voltage - every time the voltage changes (+) to (-) the capacitor charges/discharges. The changing (+) to (-) will happen just the same on either side of the potentiometer, just with different voltage amplitude. Since caps respond to voltage swings moreso than voltage amplitude, it shouldn't make much of a difference, says the EE.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Thanks McCreed and Joe..👍
    Yes Joe, that’s what I meant sorry. Thank you for the info.

Seymour Duncan's website has wiring schematics. For all scenarios with push/pull coil split and phase, they have the capacitor on ground-side of the tone pot lug.
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

Thanks Joe. I will check their site out..👍

As your electrical friend says, it doesn't matter about the order as the potentiometer is acting as a variable resistor, not a potential divider (as for a volume pot). You can have cap then resistor, or resistor then cap and get exactly the same result.

Thank you Simon.
    I learnt today not to put to much heat into the top of push pull switch when I was adding some earth wire. One switch down..👎

9. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    Thank you Simon.
    I learnt today not to put to much heat into the top of push pull switch when I was adding some earth wire. One switch down..
    Yikes! Rather than soldering to the case you might want to solder to the tab at the bottom. That should require less heat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200610_195616__01__01_copy_994x1294.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	35662

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Spot on Fender. That’s the way I decided to go after I stuffed the first one..🤦*♂️