Thread: I want to look of oil but without actually using oil :-)

I want to look of oil but without actually using oil :-)

Hey folks,

I don't know if there is a way to achieve what I have in mind, but I try to describe

I like how - tru oil for example - enhances the grain and makes it stand out so much. But I don't like adding coats of oil for weeks and weeks, so for my new kit, I want to use some kind of water based polycrylic varnish (wipe on poly).

However, if I'm not completely mistaken, this will will not enhance the grain, because it's not soaking into the wood like oil, it will sit on top like - well it is! - a laquer.

So what would be the best way to get the best of both worlds? I'm pretty sure they won't work together, so is there any other way around?

Thanks and kind regards
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

It does pretty much the same thing, but it's normally clear, not slightly amber like Tru Oil. So a very light amber stain before applying wipe on-poly would give a similar effect.

Wipe-on poly also takes quite a few applications if you want a smooth gloss finish, just not as many as Tru-Oil. And you still have to wait for it to fully cure before polishing it.

Hi Simon,

does it really enhance the grain like oil does? You know, that perfect shimmery look? If yes - brilliant!

I know that the poly also needs several coats, but for the last 3+ weeks, I have done nothing but adding coats of tru oil to my other guitar and I am STILL NOT DONE!
    Really, I just can't take it anymore. So everything that takes less than a million coats is an improvement ;-)
    This week, I should get a new bottle of tru oil and I can go on adding coats to my other guitar ;-)
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar