Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: No. 35 is alive...and ordered.

Very nice... but loved it more without the pickguard In fact, I've got a 6-string TL I'm building that may be a good pair for it, albeit with a blonde neck and a worse finish.

In case you want to play with some switching options using the 3-way 'import' here are a couple of layouts.

This first layout uses an extra 0.0068uF (6n8) cap to filter off the top highs, which can also help remove some single coil hum (note: it's an 0.0068 cap, not our usual 0.068, 0.022 or 0.047 etc). Position 1 is just the volume control and nothing else. Position 2 gives volume and tone control. Position 3 is volume with the high cut, no tone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ozz_TeleBass_3way_highcut_v1.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	37407
    Note: the 0.0068 cap is connected between the last lug on the switch and the switch's ground tab, but any ground point will do.

The second layout uses the same 0.0068uF (6n8) cap for another high cut, but also adds a 22KΩ resistor and 0.068uF (683) cap to slightly thin out the bottom end to balance with the reduced highs. Position 1 is volume only, position 2 is volume and tone, position 3 is volume with high cut and low 'trim' (not a full cut) and no tone control.

Name:	Ozz_TeleBass_3way_highlowcut_v1.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	37408

I tested this type of layout today with some different value caps and resistors and, with my set up at least, the 0.068uF cap and 22kΩ resistor seemed to give the most usable sound, but YMMV. Different gear, different sounds, different results. Resistors from 5K-50KΩ could work, and/or 0.047uF or 0.1uF caps instead of the 0.068uF.

I tried to minimise the changes between the two layouts to make it easier to try both if you wanted. You just need to move the pickup hot and add the extra cap and resistor. But... I won't be offended if you don't use either of them.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Very nice... but loved it more without the pickguard In fact, I've got a 6-string TL I'm building that may be a good pair for it, albeit with a blonde neck and a worse finish.

In case you want to play with some switching options using the 3-way 'import' here are a couple of layouts.

This first layout uses an extra 0.0068uF (6n8) cap to filter off the top highs, which can also help remove some single coil hum (note: it's an 0.0068 cap, not our usual 0.068, 0.022 or 0.047 etc). Position 1 is just the volume control and nothing else. Position 2 gives volume and tone control. Position 3 is volume with the high cut, no tone.

Name:	Ozz_TeleBass_3way_highcut_v1.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	37407
    Note: the 0.0068 cap is connected between the last lug on the switch and the switch's ground tab, but any ground point will do.

The second layout uses the same 0.0068uF (6n8) cap for another high cut, but also adds a 22KΩ resistor and 0.068uF (683) cap to slightly thin out the bottom end to balance with the reduced highs. Position 1 is volume only, position 2 is volume and tone, position 3 is volume with high cut and low 'trim' (not a full cut) and no tone control.

Name:	Ozz_TeleBass_3way_highlowcut_v1.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	37408

I tested this type of layout today with some different value caps and resistors and, with my set up at least, the 0.068uF cap and 22kΩ resistor seemed to give the most usable sound, but YMMV. Different gear, different sounds, different results. Resistors from 5K-50KΩ could work, and/or 0.047uF or 0.1uF caps instead of the 0.068uF.

I tried to minimise the changes between the two layouts to make it easier to try both if you wanted. You just need to move the pickup hot and add the extra cap and resistor. But... I won't be offended if you don't use either of them.
    I did like it without the pick guard...but my object was to try and match the Squier Classic Vibe Tele Bass picture on page one of my thread.

So I think the pick guard will stay.

You know how to tweak a blokes interest....I have to say that ease of installation that the first one offers does appeal. Maybe a trip to Jaycar and grab a little green cap for me.

Thanks again Weirdy.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Those are great diagrams Scott. Perfect for someone like me that mostly struggle with proper schematics.
    Also great concepts with the variations.

I'm not a bass player but I do own a 3/4 SX P-style just for basic demo stuff, so I probably will never need a switch!
    Good reference for potential basses I work on though.

@ozzbike - I like the pickguard more than I thought I would. To me, it just puts the final "tele" stamp on it.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Those are great diagrams Scott. Perfect for someone like me that mostly struggle with proper schematics.
    Also great concepts with the variations.

I'm not a bass player but I do own a 3/4 SX P-style just for basic demo stuff, so I probably will never need a switch!
    Good reference for potential basses I work on though.

@ozzbike - I like the pickguard more than I thought I would. To me, it just puts the final "tele" stamp on it.
    Thanks mate......Weirdies diagrams are magic.

Nearly finally complete...weirdys diagram to go.

Today I got the pickup from the USA and found a thumb rest I had. I have installed the pickup, having to use the sanding drum on a dremel to skim around the edges of the bobbin to get it to fit the rout.

The thumb rest is held on by one screw only in an existing pickguard screw hole....as I need to find where it suits me best before I drill the other hole.

The pickup has so much more width...if that is what you say...so much more grunt. The EQ on my AMP has been set back to my norm....and she now sounds like I would expect a Bass to sound. The six string pickup had so many other sounds....but the E string was so very soft.

This has some meat.

Time to create a new profile on Rocksmith 2014 Remastered and thump away to a number of my 4000 songs.

(Insert very happy face.)

P.S. I did not include a pic of the recessed tele jack socket....here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	37564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	37565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	37566  

Bro, that is just nice and tidy, very clean. Wonderful job!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Looks great

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Looks great Ozz
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and help along the way. She plays so very well.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast