Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: No. 35 is alive...and ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    Actually a little caustic of late in this place.

I think I may wish one and all well and move along.

One T Bass in the bin. 34 will be good enough to end on.

Bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    I had noticed the same thing.
    That’s rather disappointing to read. One of the things I’ve liked about this forum is that such instances were rare. TBF, I have not been reading everything thoroughly due to constraints on time. I’d hope it is not a recurring theme, trust you’re both okay, And that things settle back to the amiable state I think we are all used to. 👍🏾😁
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    From sonicmountains painting guide....

“Use a flat block on the flat areas and wet sand up to 2000 grit. It should look evenly dull with no major scratches. Then I use machine cutting compound and an electric buffer. I normally tape any hard edges at this point as its easy to cut through in those area. the edges and corners will buff up fine in the later stages, the machine cutting compound is mainly for the flat areas. 2 or three applications usually, followed by liquid cut and polish, then something like Meguiars Scratch X to get rid of final swirls. The last Scratch X application I use those little foam application and buffing pads - they work really well.”

Here...good thread....

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post187569
    Somehow I missed this when you posted, thanks! I will be buffing by hand, but this is still good to know.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Ozzy, I've truly enjoyed every one of your builds that I've followed in the past mate. Your a talented bloke at those finishes. This one you are really wearing your heart on your sleeve as you've not had much experience with a painted finish. And that is totally okay. I'm pretty sure that post might have been taken the wrong way and not in the proper context as to how it was intended / received. I'm pretty sure Phrozin was trying to get you motivated rather than put you down. Please don't throw this build out and leave us. Your plan for resurrecting it sounds great and I'm sure we would all like to keep following along as you get there with it.

Humble apology to all.

Somebody...namely me....lost his stuff at a number of things really OFF happening in life in the past ten days.

I am still here and will continue the build....thanks Bakersdozen for the nice words....hard to live up to them...very embarassed and humble.

To all others offended or otherwise...I am sorry.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

I wasn't offended, but I do want to say that it takes a lot of courage and humility to make a honest apology like you have just done. This is a rare thing in the online world, and for what it's worth, it earns my respect.

I am also glad that you will be continuing your build.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Forums are easy places to take offence where none was intended. We all write in different ways, we all have a different sense of humour. We are all normally writing quickly after a long, often frustrating, day and we don't always say exactly what we mean or say it in the clearest way. I don't mean to offend when I post (if I did I'd make it very clear), but I'm sure that sometimes what I write can seem a bit curt when I'm just trying to be factual and write quickly.

Glad you're still with us.

7. Liked by: OliSam

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Just caught up on this, sorry I didn't drop in with any painting advice, you always seem to have a handle on finishes, so I wasn't following the thread closely

I agree with Simon, it can be hard to interpret tone via text and writing style. And we all have bad days and perhaps type things that come across a bit more direct than may have been intended.

The world in general is pretty stressful at the moment and it's impacting everyone in different ways. Add in normal life stresses and it's easy to see why people are a bit snarky at times.

Personally I've made a concerted effort not to pressure myself too much at the moment, especially with guitars. I have lots of plans and I'm keen to get cracking, but I'm happy to wait for the time to be right. This is supposed to be enjoyable for me and I want to maintain that focus. I have a track record of going too hard on hobbies and ending up jaded with the whole thing. I don't want that to happen with this stuff.

Anyway, just throwing in my 2 cents and support. Big deep breaths and keep going, focus on the fun. Sure stripping back a paint job isn't much fun, but you just gotta be a bit zen about it.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks guys....still pretty embarrassed.

Sanded to bare wood today....no timber mate....sanded back to 400 grit...two coats of primer on....will do as much as the can can give me...then duck to SCA and grab another one for tomorrow. I would like to have a good surface to cut back flat.

I think I will try to get about 9 to 12 coats on the body.

The neck has one coat of the Cabothane on it. The decals are on...the stain is there as well. I don't know about the colour...quite gold in colour really.

I will let it hang until I cannot sniff any solvent...1500 wd and go again....and rinse and repeat until I get the end result I want.

The body still scares me....may have to get another can of gloss black as well I think...just in case. I have a full can of the gloss.

10. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

The Build continues.,

I have sanded the body to 600 grit today on the primer. I then sprayed a few more coats of the primer for a final smooth finish I hope.

Back to work again tomorrow...so she shall hang until next week.

The neck still has a strong chemical smell....only one coat of cabothane. Wow.

I have ordered a chrome with brass saddles Wilkinson Bridge, 2 x CTS 250k short shaft pots, a CTS pot accepting control plate, 2 x Chrome flat top knobs with a grub screw, chrome strap locks x 2, a recessed chrome tele jack socket, a 1/4 inch switchcraft jack to fit this socket.

I have an oak-grimsby 3 position lever switch here. I have multiple 0.047 and/or 0.022 uf orange drop capacitors here with me.

Jaycar have the blue coloured metal film resistors here in stock on the Sunshine Coast.

I think next week may be the week of soldering.

I got a whack of the stuff from this fellow....he seems to have much stock at the moment and pretty quick delivery...well estimated times anyway.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Allparts...72.m2749.l2648
    Last edited by ozzbike; 09-07-2020 at 08:12 AM.

The learning curve is turning the bend.

I have to say I am a big fan of the stain, oils and wax finishes I have used before.

Paint, and the aerosol cabothane, are a hugely different thing.

1. I have a good coverage without drips on the body now. Nice and black....but in one place if the light is right you can make out some squiggles like the runs that were there before. I sanded back to 240 grit and primed and base coloured again....yet they look like worms under the finish.

I have a nice three coats of Clear on the body. It will hang now for about a week with a fan going....and then the sniff test.

Then some wet sanding all over....see if the paint worms go away. Next step depends on that alone.

2. The decals did not work too well. I have sanded back through 120 to 240 grit, and then some timbermate to try and even the pore colours out.

3. Sand the neck spots back through 240, 320 and 400 this afternoon. Then some Golden Teak stain on the sanded bits.

4. I have used a whack of the aerosol polyurethane....may get a second can from the Big Green shed.

5. I have all the bits to change to all US sized electronics, and the appropriate switch plate to hold the pots and switch.

6. Jaycar trip to get a few of the resistors....and solder the new wiring harness together in my trusty pepsi max can cardboard divider.

I honestly don't have the guts to put photos up after the earlier behaviour on my part. But, I have enjoyed the challenge so far.

I have to say that paint gives a nice finish, but man it is an art-form, not just something any mug can do well. Hand rubbing stains, oils and waxes just takes patience and a willingness to WAIT for finishes to build. This stuff gives instant response, but can also give instant headaches and anger.

I don't know that I am inclined to do another one. But, I think I love the Cabots aerosol poly....that may be my new go to neck finish.

Back to work.....stolen quote there.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast