Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: No. 35 is alive...and ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just the Strat-shaped swimming pool.
    Sorry mate, no Strat shape here - just a Les Pool

https://youtu.be/qFxYLoPWapk

2. Liked by: wazkelly

I'd strongly suggest that the StewMac filler is rebranded Aqua Coat.

It is relatively expensive (a lot cheaper in the US though) but a tub will do 5-8 guitars depending on size and depth of grain to fill. Which as long as you are doing that many guitars (or can use it on other woodworking projects) still makes it good value for money in overall terms. I know I'll spend a several times more per guitar on other consumables like nitro paint than on the grain filler. But it isn't worth it for a single guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Sorry mate, no Strat shape here - just a Les Pool

https://youtu.be/qFxYLoPWapk
    Oh very good.

Hmmm....thinking cap here....outdoor...garden...guitar reference. Maybe just a Trelliscaster Bass I am making.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'd strongly suggest that the StewMac filler is rebranded Aqua Coat.

It is relatively expensive (a lot cheaper in the US though) but a tub will do 5-8 guitars depending on size and depth of grain to fill. Which as long as you are doing that many guitars (or can use it on other woodworking projects) still makes it good value for money in overall terms. I know I'll spend a several times more per guitar on other consumables like nitro paint than on the grain filler. But it isn't worth it for a single guitar.
    Exactly my thoughts....not cheap...yeah I have 35 guitars here...but what if I can't use the stuff...like my misery with Feast Watson Sanding Sealer to this point.

More research on timbermate to follow. I have even watched some USA guys using it on their stain based guitar body finishes....but not a lot is mentioned with paint related finishes.

Maybe I am better served and can get the same result with just the filler primer?

First day off today....body sanded to 180 grit....neck to same.

Neck has had two coats of cedar/blackwood timber mate and is hanging now until tomorrow....cold for Queensland here today.

Tomorrow I will do both through to 240 grit....then...think a bit.

The neck and fingerboard will not be a hard decision I think. Headstock decals after a staining.....maybe even F W Golden teak...just one coat.

Then the spray Cabothane Gloss....going to read what the spray powers of Phrozn and Sonic Mountain have said about this stuff....and Jugglinden too I think.

The body.....is tricky for me....thinking about NOT doing timber mate.....sand to 320 grit...then spray primer filler time. The nature of that spraying will require some reading and thought though.

Hmmmmmm...

Well that did not go well.

Hmm...three days of pain and a terrible end result.

The neck I have followed my normal process...eventually...and it sits nicely with the stain Golden Teak on it. Next week I will print the decals and stick them on and try the Cabots spray gloss.

The body....mmmm. Well let us say I will have to work out how to get the paint off and start again. The primer went on well...was sanded and looked smooth as a babies bum. Then the first spray with the Black coat....all turned to junk.

I do note that the grain in the wood, even on basswood, is clearly visible under the Black Coat. Not good. I also had a reasonable coverage and having tried the one coat horizontal, moved to the one coat vertical...and not so good...little runs all over.

To say I used the smaller words in the English language is an understatement.

So next week...sand back to bare wood and start again....this time I will use timber mate as a grain filler....then the primer...then the black colour.

I think I will try something that is a mix of all things I have read and seen....

1. Grain fill and sand to 240 grit.

2. Sand to 320 grit. Then dust off, wax and grease remover, then tack cloth.

3. One serious coat of primer, leave 15 to 20 mins, one more coat...156 to 20 mins...one last coat.

4. Leave until the next day....sand well to 400 grit. Repeat primer process with 3 coats 15 to 20 mins apart.

5. Leave until next day...sand again to 400 grit.....dust off...wax and grease remover and tack cloth.

6. One light coat of Black gloss...leave 10 mins...heavier coat of black gloss...15 to 20 mins...same weight coat.

7. Leave in my shower recess overnight.

8. Check the surface and see if it is black enough....if not...repeat previous day after a quick knock down with 600 grit and dust off, wax and grease remover and tack cloth.

9. Let hang for around 1 week.

10. Light flatten at 600/800 grit. Dust off etc.

11. Gloss coat...first one light...10 mins...heavier coat...15 to 20 mins...heavier coat. Hang over night.

12. Hit with 1500 grit...dust off....repeat sprays.

13. Hang over night....if happy...leave alone.

14. Hang for 7 days and then sniff it....no smell equals polish time.

Polish, cut, wax and seal with auto products.

I now just have to get the current finish OFF. Hmm....I have 40 and 60 grit paper....but 80 does not leave gouges like they do.....not really wanting to use paint stripper.

Oh well work calls tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    I have seen the rant...not that this is a bad thing. But I have also seen that he prefers epoxy or CA, and sadly I hate them both equally.

The other option for me, as listed above, is the dreaded Feast Watson Sanding Sealer. It is not really a filler or leveler, rather just a sealer of the surface. But, the crap sets like shitty old epoxy glue and is a pain to sand.

I have done much internet searching, Youtube viewing and I see that a product called "Wood Filler" is widely endorsed as a pore fill option for wood surfaces prior to paint. I have even seen more than one person that used said "Wood Filler" having watered it down to the point it becomes a paste. This is exactly how I use Timbermate...diluted with water to a thick custard, thick shake consistently.

I would compare Timbermate and its water based brethren to a water based version of car body-filler or "BOG." I think I will treat Timbermate and the use of it in a similar manner to BOG. I will apply it...let it dry thoroughly...sand it properly...then dust it off...wax and grease remover it down...tack rag again...leave at least overnight again...then prime.

I then the sink back issue is from covering it and the wood prior to them both being completely dry. An issue not so major on a car as you have air guns, ovens etc.

I just want the flat gloss black surface the best i can with spray cans. I think I can get pretty close with the information from many who have passed before me here. But, with a selective weeding of the personal bias...and my own prejudices too.

One thing I had not thought of....but did read in either Sonics or Phrozn thread about taping edges when wet sanding.....that seem like an amazing idea....considering I blast through stain and Tru oil finishes like they are butter.

The neck colour is an issue I will have to think about. My previous made Jazz Bass has a deep tan colour now. I think I went too many coats of the Amber stain and then with the aging of the Tru Oil it has gone quite dark.

I just don't know if the Cabots aerosol poly has an aging browning effect....or being somewhat plastic will it stay clear.

Maybe shoot some onto a scrap and see what happens....hmmmmm.
    Humm a rant hey my question is why are you grain filling it anyway, you don't need to grain fill basswood, as for what I use I actually use timber mate to fill dents and deep scratches I use the white one colour it to the stain or dye, I don't use it under lacquer the thinners in the paint makes the timber mate expand then it shrinks back and it keeps doing it for a couple of months, I use lots of different things pending what finish I'm after, so I see you're an expert I remember that so get on with it

Quote Originally Posted by phrozin View Post
    Humm a rant hey my question is why are you grain filling it anyway, you don't need to grain fill basswood, as for what I use I actually use timber mate to fill dents and deep scratches I use the white one colour it to the stain or dye, I don't use it under lacquer the thinners in the paint makes the timber mate expand then it shrinks back and it keeps doing it for a couple of months, I use lots of different things pending what finish I'm after, so I see you're an expert I remember that so get on with it
    Nice.

It is called venting as I got a result I was not expecting.

Expert at nothing...that would be why I am here.

...end of my rant.

Actually a little caustic of late in this place.

I think I may wish one and all well and move along.

One T Bass in the bin. 34 will be good enough to end on.

Bye.

I had noticed the same thing.
    Cliff

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast