Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: No. 35 is alive...and ordered.

The Box has arrived.

My mate dropped her off just before 6.00 tonight.

The body and neck have no real flash figure to speak of, so a painted body is not going to cause any great loss.

The heel of the neck is rounded and not finished that well.....the body has a square cut to the neck pocket. But the neck itself fits into the width of the pocket very well. I will have to square the end off with sanding I think.

The 3 position switch is one of the box like jobs.....hmmm.....I think I at least have an Oak-Grigsby here somewhere.
    The four nice big elephant ear tuners are a big step up from some other kit ones I have seen. The 3 ply black and white pickguard is well cut.

The Bone nut was tucked away in the neck bag....safely ensconced in the electronics pack now.

Well time to pack up to go back to work.....You Tube and reading time for me.

I think I will sand to my normal 180 grit then Timbermate the body.....sand through 240 to 320 then some filler primer and sand to 400 and see what I have looking at me then.

The neck I will do similar to 180 then timbermate and sand to 240...then decals....dry....and then the carbothane. See how that stuff goes. I have never used it before. Sonic Mountain spoke about putting it on thick....I will give that try....then leave it to pass the sniff test.

I found my micro-mesh guitar pack....so sand with that after a few coats of the carbothane.

Anybody know if the carbothane, being polyurethane/varnish and oil based, will amber or brown the finish a little? I am still thinking of doing a light coat of Vintage Amber......or maybe straight Lemon Yellow U-Beaut stain. hmmmmm hard choices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	35980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	35981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	35982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	35983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	35984  

Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

One more piccy

...and the back of the body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	35985  

Phrozin is the paint man, he does not have good words for timbermate under paint.
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Phrozin is the paint man, he does not have good words for timbermate under paint.
    I have seen the rant...not that this is a bad thing. But I have also seen that he prefers epoxy or CA, and sadly I hate them both equally.

The other option for me, as listed above, is the dreaded Feast Watson Sanding Sealer. It is not really a filler or leveler, rather just a sealer of the surface. But, the crap sets like shitty old epoxy glue and is a pain to sand.

I have done much internet searching, Youtube viewing and I see that a product called "Wood Filler" is widely endorsed as a pore fill option for wood surfaces prior to paint. I have even seen more than one person that used said "Wood Filler" having watered it down to the point it becomes a paste. This is exactly how I use Timbermate...diluted with water to a thick custard, thick shake consistently.

I would compare Timbermate and its water based brethren to a water based version of car body-filler or "BOG." I think I will treat Timbermate and the use of it in a similar manner to BOG. I will apply it...let it dry thoroughly...sand it properly...then dust it off...wax and grease remover it down...tack rag again...leave at least overnight again...then prime.

I then the sink back issue is from covering it and the wood prior to them both being completely dry. An issue not so major on a car as you have air guns, ovens etc.

I just want the flat gloss black surface the best i can with spray cans. I think I can get pretty close with the information from many who have passed before me here. But, with a selective weeding of the personal bias...and my own prejudices too.

One thing I had not thought of....but did read in either Sonics or Phrozn thread about taping edges when wet sanding.....that seem like an amazing idea....considering I blast through stain and Tru oil finishes like they are butter.

The neck colour is an issue I will have to think about. My previous made Jazz Bass has a deep tan colour now. I think I went too many coats of the Amber stain and then with the aging of the Tru Oil it has gone quite dark.

I just don't know if the Cabots aerosol poly has an aging browning effect....or being somewhat plastic will it stay clear.

Maybe shoot some onto a scrap and see what happens....hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just the Strat-shaped swimming pool.
    Have you been looking over the garden fence again Simon? You will get a reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    One thing I had not thought of....but did read in either Sonics or Phrozn thread about taping edges when wet sanding.....that seem like an amazing idea....considering I blast through stain and Tru oil finishes like they are butter.

The neck colour is an issue I will have to think about. My previous made Jazz Bass has a deep tan colour now. I think I went too many coats of the Amber stain and then with the aging of the Tru Oil it has gone quite dark.

I just don't know if the Cabots aerosol poly has an aging browning effect....or being somewhat plastic will it stay clear.

Maybe shoot some onto a scrap and see what happens....hmmmmm.
    What's the edge taping trick? A bit more detail or a pointer to the thread would be awesome as I am about to wet sand and polish my tele.

I also don't know whether Cabothane spray can poly tends to yellow overtime. Because I was uncertain I ended up using clear lacquer on the neck because of the blue in the headstock decal.

As for testing on scrap timber, I guess it depends on how long you are prepared to wait before reaching a conclusion.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Have a look at this stuff.
    https://armstronglutherie.com.au/aqua-coat/

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    What's the edge taping trick? A bit more detail or a pointer to the thread would be awesome as I am about to wet sand and polish my tele.

I also don't know whether Cabothane spray can poly tends to yellow overtime. Because I was uncertain I ended up using clear lacquer on the neck because of the blue in the headstock decal.

As for testing on scrap timber, I guess it depends on how long you are prepared to wait before reaching a conclusion.
    From sonicmountains painting guide....

“Use a flat block on the flat areas and wet sand up to 2000 grit. It should look evenly dull with no major scratches. Then I use machine cutting compound and an electric buffer. I normally tape any hard edges at this point as its easy to cut through in those area. the edges and corners will buff up fine in the later stages, the machine cutting compound is mainly for the flat areas. 2 or three applications usually, followed by liquid cut and polish, then something like Meguiars Scratch X to get rid of final swirls. The last Scratch X application I use those little foam application and buffing pads - they work really well.”

Here...good thread....

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post187569

Another water based filler here and it can be coloured.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...s-and-putties/
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Nice option....not cheap though. Thanks.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast