Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: No. 35 is alive...and ordered.

Brighter is always an option, especially with the more powerful early Tele pickups that had a less bright/more middly sound than later pickups had. And with a bass, it is always a decent option.

But yes, the fixed bass sound wasn't a popular choice. But it was the first days of the electric guitar and they were trying to make it versatile. They didn't know how things were going to develop. band-wise, they were trying to guess. No P-Bass around at the time, so they were expecting guitar players to fill-in as bass players if necessary.

2. Liked by: Simon_B

It is a Single Coil P-Bass, this is the wiring.

Cliff

I am tempted to build one with a Nordstrand 51P4S Hum-Cancelling pickup.
    https://nordstrandaudio.com/collecti...hum-cancelling
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    It is a Single Coil P-Bass, this is the wiring.
    Except of you look at the picture of the kit, you'll note that its controls are routed as per a Telecaster (no idea why though) and comes with a Tele control plate and 3-way switch. So you either go Esquire-style controls or else you get a blank Tele control plate and drill it for your own control arrangement or you get a 2- knob P-bass control plate, fill in the control rout as necessary to fit that and do a solid colour finish.

Do wake up at the back!

Lots of stuff.

I spent some time on You Tube...and after reading much from your posts...thank you.

Jaycar for the win...thanks Jugglindan.

I had a walking tour of both Supercheap and The Big Green Shed this morning. Lots of options.

I had a read of Sonicmountain and phrozn threads about painting...poly etc from spray cans.

Cliff...don't take Simon too serious mate he can be a little short on the fuse. I myself made a similar observation and even posted on another thread that this kit looked a lot like a Telecaster guitar refashioned to be a Bass. Then I saw the Squier Vintage Modified Tele Bass in Black and a light Amber neck/fretboard. This kit is not like the single coil 51 Precision Bass copy...it is like the Squier.

The 51 has a different pick guard and a different chrome control cover strip. This one has a three position lever switch that appears to give minimum control differences. I think Simon is not alone in suggesting that adopting the Fender Esquire wiring diagram gives lots of tonal options.

My thinking right now:-

Supercheap car stuff for the body....sca primer filler, Duplicolour Gloss Black, SCA Gloss clear coat.

Neck is a toss up....but leaning towards...an extremely light amber colortone dye coat...then possible the Cabots gloss poly in a spray can....loved that finish on Sonic Mountains Black Strat....and clear coat neck.

But....I like the finish I can get with Tru-Oil and I am tempted to stay with what I have used a lot.....hmmmm.

Oh well back to work in the morning and hopefully the rain stops and the kit comes in the mail.

Thanks all for suggestions.

EDIT:- I did a google search and an Ebay search for a Squier Vintage Modified Black Tele Bass....wow oh wow they are expensive. Around the $1000-00 AUD mark....ouch. Time to build my own I think.
    Last edited by ozzbike; 10-06-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Here are a couple of options to look at to use the switch to change the tone.

Cliff

Amazing how things happen.

I am back to work again tomorrow. The way Aussie Post is messing with their staff I did not think the guitar would arrive today.....well I am wrong. I got a text saying it is onboard for delivery. Nice.

Off to the Green Shed and the Red car store....as I left the green shed my crusty old Holden crewman ute began to splutter and fart. It has done this before...and it was an ignition coil pack and a spark plug. I had my ALDI cheapie OBDII code reader in the car. Stop and hook it up and clear the codes....nope same thing. Cylinder 3 misfire. Last time it was Cylinder 4.

Oh well off to the Red Shed...they had my past purchase on their computer and gave me a coil pack and plug to match...yes I know I should do the lot...but I have paint to buy for the guitar. Can't do both....well I can...but it is not as good a story.

So I got some paper, some carbothane, a paint mask, primer, base coat, clear coat.

My mate is the parcel guy...so it will be here today....silly bugger stays out each day until he is done...can be some late nights for him.

These are part of the collection......(pics below)

One question......I have loads of Timbermate here....I intend to use the Cedar/Blackwood on the neck and fingerboard prior to stain and then the gloss Carbothane.

Is there any reason I cannot level the body out with it as well? I read the paint can, the Timbermate pot, and neither says you can't.

I also have some Feast Watson Sanding Sealer....not a fan of that stuff it sets like an epoxy. It does not say it can't be used under paint, but does speak mostly about stains. It does say it is interior only....guitar...interior....same thing to me.

Or, is the spray filler primer enough if I sand it well to 320grit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	35971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabots.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	35972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tack Cloth.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	35973  

Interior mainly indicates that it's not weatherproof and will not stand up to long exposure to UV and moisture. Timbermate is interior grade stuff only as it will start to dissolve and wash away when wet. But unless you plan to mount the guitar outside as a garden ornament, it's fine for normal guitar use.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Interior mainly indicates that it's not weatherproof and will not stand up to long exposure to UV and moisture. Timbermate is interior grade stuff only as it will start to dissolve and wash away when wet. But unless you plan to mount the guitar outside as a garden ornament, it's fine for normal guitar use.
    My thoughts.....and no aspirations for a Tele pond or fountain here.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast