Thread: Shield( metal wire sheath) question

Shield( metal wire sheath) question

Just about to begin wiring my bass and I’ve sourced the necessary diagram from the site.
    However, from each pickup there is a shield( metal wire sheath) in the diagram. The pickups in my hand have one wire coming from them. Can anyone tell me what the go is please?

If it's just one single wire for the pickup, you should find that the single wire consists on an inner signal wire, insulated sheath, outer ground braid/screen and a further insulation layer. So if you strip away some of the outer insulation (I normally score carefully round the wire about 4cm back from the end, so I cut through the plastic but not the metal braid underneath), then pull that bit of insulation off, you should then expose the braid. You can then unpick the braid back to loose strands, then twist it together again as a separate wire. That should leave the insulated signal wire exposed. You'll probably need to strip the insulation off the end of that as well before you can solder it.

If you have two single wires from the pickup with no braid at all, then normally one is black and the other a lighter colour. The black will be the ground wire.

Thank you Simon 👍