Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Don't Lend Your Guitar

I’ve been super careful with my guitars over the decades and they look pretty good. However, I’m working on losing that attitude because I think it affects my playing and has turned me a bit OCD!

I always untuck my shirt so those rivets on my jean pockets, buttons, belt buckles, etc. don’t scratch the back. I’m careful with my picking, and my fingernails to make sure I don’t scratch the top, I always wash my hands before playing, and oh...deodorant from arm - gotta keep that off the finish!

Guitars are tools to make music with, not museum pieces. I’d like to adopt Eddie Van Halen and Billy Sheehan’s attitude - they just got out a chisel, a dremel tool, or whatever it took to make their instruments work, wrecking a bunch of stuff in the process, but they ended up with sweet playing instruments!

The kit I built a year ago had finish issues. It wasn’t perfect, but finally, I put it together and started playing. As long as the wood is protected and it looks ok from 10 feet away, it doesn’t really matter.

Play the things! Forget about the dents and scratches!
    Last edited by MusicStudent1; 31-07-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Chalk it up to battle scars.

From the photos it looks like tru-oil over a natural finish so rub the tru-oil back, steam out the dings, sand it and recoat the areas with tru-oil.

(It's what tru-oil was designed for. Rifle stocks take a beating and that's what it actually is; a rifle stock finish).
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

I thought this topic was dead but as it is still of interest here is the result.

The scratches were sanded back with all the mahogany and recoated with TruOil. Yes the TruOil finish is as easy to patch as expected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2287adj res.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	741.9 KB 
ID:	36794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2286adj res.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	763.1 KB 
ID:	36795

I can now sleep soundly as my apparent anal complex has been eased

I also took the opportunity to re-finish the cap as it was my first build and I was not that experience with TruOil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2291adj res.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	36796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2293adj res.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	36797

The guitar now plays beautifully just like when your car runs better with a wash and polish. Hihi

It may also have something to do with me installing a bone nut. The correct nut height sure makes a difference.

Great to hear all the differing views on this subject. My take on it is that if I scratch it or it is an accident then too bad. Fix it or leave it. But if an experienced and competent guitarist borrows the guitar and takes no care - "just another guitar" - then I am not happy.
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Nice repair job.
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

Yep, that's looking very fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3