Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't Lend Your Guitar

I like the comparison to cars... my saying with cars had always been “if you can’t afford to scratch it you can’t afford to own it”. The first dings are always the hardest (especially when they’re not by you) but they are the first... a well loved guitar will see many more. I’ve found it’s hard to play well wearing gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    ...my once pristine finish has been dented, scratched, dented and fallen into by a 5 and 7 year old too many times than I can count. ]
    SAME! My god, they just have to walk in the room and the guitars get scratched. My mandolin has a mysterious crack that I am 100% sure was due to my daughter, but she's really very careful, she's just small. I want her to always feel comfortable picking them up and playing them, so what can you do! Just part of the fun
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Well that was an entertaining hour or so watching the comments coming in. Intriguing, seeing as how a lot of time is spent producing beautiful shiny PitBull guitars.

Thanks for the great feedback and also for not using the word “ANAL” which, judging from the comments, some of you may have gone close to using. Hihi

The car analogy was great - EXCEPT I have a mint condition 1996 Landcruiser with 330,000 kms on the clock and not a mark on it. No dings yet- touch wood. It has spent 200,000 of those kms in the outback and Western Australia with and without a caravan. She just gets a good wash and occasionally a polish after each trip. No TruOil yet.

Maybe I just like looking after my stuff.

I only started playing the guitar when I was 60. I played the piano for 4 years as a kid and as usual gave up. Now I look back and think “what a DH. If only I had known then what I know now….”. Yes! That can also be applied to another subject so I better not go there.

Anyway, I took up the guitar as my second childhood project for retirement. And love it. Then my sons gave me a PitBull guitar for my 70th of which I was totally unaware. What an eyeopener that is into the guitars and music. Love it even more.

I jam in a group of 4 each week (mainly 50’s-70’s stuff – baby boomers have shown the way). We have done a few gigs at the yacht club. The rest is regular playing at home most days.

I am currently doing the Paul David’s Next Level Playing for advanced guitarists. “Page 1 – learn the fretboard.” Ugh! How long have I been putting that off. The course is sure rattling the synapses but great.

So I think I am in a situation where there is less likelihood of my guitars getting damaged.
    If I had scratched my guitar I may not had been so concerned. But when someone else does it without care or respect for other people’s shiny property I am/was not amused.

If you have got this far, thanks for reading my rambling. Back to the sandpaper.

About to take delivery of an ES-1F so see you on the forum soon

Greg

PS I guess that you have guessed that I won't be buying a PB guitar to turn into a relic.
    Last edited by GregLane; 07-06-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Nothing wrong with taking care of your gear! I think lots of us are in situations where it is impossible to keep things pristine, but it doesn't mean we're careless - we just have to be zen about the dings
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

I agree with you Greg.
    Different if it is a little kid in the family, but adults should take care with other people's instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Cue my slow-motion horror as the brand-new mic plunged towards the top of the brand-new guitar...
    Dude, you need to finish that story. I wont be able to sleep.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Dude, you need to finish that story. I wont be able to sleep.
    I was going to take a pic, but there's now so many dings and chunks taken out of that guitar I can't actually remember which one was the microphone hitting it! It was my main gigging guitar for quite a while and also served a lot of open mics until I got a cheaper one for that job.
    The microphone survived without a scratch or blemish though!

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    I was going to take a pic, but there's now so many dings and chunks taken out of that guitar I can't actually remember which one was the microphone hitting it! It was my main gigging guitar for quite a while and also served a lot of open mics until I got a cheaper one for that job.
    The microphone survived without a scratch or blemish though!
    Phew!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

My thoughts:
    Feel free to abuse/neglect your own gear, no judgement from me.
    If you borrow anything from someone else, guitar or otherwise, you treat it with utmost care and respect.

That was an absolute dick move to scratch up your guitar as though it didn't matter.

As if he scratched it on purpose... the probably rubbed it against his trouser's button or wore a belt buckle. He most probably didn't notice and would be extremely sorry if he did!
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast