Thread: wiring PB4 bass

wiring PB4 bass

this is my first build all going good so far some minor adjustments to make things fit. i am stuck on the wiring, the pots and jack are all pre wired and soldered, there is one blue wire not connected i think this for the bridge earth but dont know how to connect it to the bridge there is no hole in the body to get the wire to the bridge. any help would be good
    cheers

KD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kd wiring-1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	35735  

I can't tell in the pic what the blue wire attaches to. If it is the case of the pot then for sure it's the ground wire for the bridge. You will need to drill a hole from under the center of the bridge to either the control cavity or the pup cavity. It helps to have a long bit so you can drill as flat a channel as possible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. Liked by: KD7559

thank you will try to drill the hole

Are you sure there's no hole for the ground wire?

The kit should come pre-drilled with a hole to the control rout, positioned under where the bridge will go (highlighted in red). It's at an angle, so can look more like a mark than a hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6894_LI.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	35763

If there isn't one, then you'll need to drill one, and you'll need a very long drill bit to do that. Look for a 300mm long bit. Partly because its a long hole and partly so the drill doesn't get in the way and you can get the angle correct I'd suggest a 4mm bit. It won't t be easy to get the angle right. You'll need to drill from the top to the rout, you won't be able to drill the other way. It may be cheapest to buy a set, something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/300mm-Extra...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Drill a small depth vertical hole first, otherwise you'll never get the drill bit to bite and not skid over the surface. I'd also suggest cutting out a wedge of the correct drilling angle from scrap wood that you can lay the drill on top of after securing it in place with double sided tape, and use pencil lines to get the direction right.

And beware of the chuck or other moving parts contacting and scuffing the body somewhere you don't want it to... Simon's wedge helpful for that too.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Are you sure there's no hole for the ground wire?

The kit should come pre-drilled with a hole to the control rout, positioned under where the bridge will go (highlighted in red). It's at an angle, so can look more like a mark than a hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6894_LI.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	35763

If there isn't one, then you'll need to drill one, and you'll need a very long drill bit to do that. loom for a 300mm long bit. Partly because its a long hole and partly so the drill doesn't get in the way and you can get the angle correct I'd suggest a 4mm bit. It won't t be easy to get the angle right. You'll need to drill from the top to the rout, you won't be able to drill the other way. It may be cheapest to buy a set, something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/300mm-Extra...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Drill a small depth vertical hole first, otherwise you'll never get the drill bit to bite and not skid over the surface. I'd also suggest cutting out a wedge of the correct drilling angle from scrap wood that you can lay the drill on top of after securing it in place with double sided tape, and use pencil lines to get the direction right.
    thanks great advice

thanks Simon

definatley no hole that is OK i was able to drill one using some of your advice, i used a dremel which has a very small diameter chuck <12mm so was able to do it with out damaging the face of the guitar.
    just finishing the varnishing now will be ready for assembly next weekend ( this a weekend project)