Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: TL adventures

Just ordered a TL-1A, but also have plans for a TL-1HA, a thinline, and one of the 12 strings.
    Spoken like a true addict!

"Hi, my name's Mick, and I'm a guitar-a-holic."
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Spoken like a true addict!

"Hi, my name's Mick, and I'm a guitar-a-holic."
    It's embarrassing really, seeing as I can hardly play!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    It's embarrassing really, seeing as I can hardly play!
    It’s not really, it’s pretty standard from my point of view. 15+ guitars and I still can’t play anywhere near as well as I’d like
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I was in DW Music yesterday visiting my bro, and spent like an hour lusting after some of the new guitars they have in. I couldn't afford any though, so I was safe
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by djowel View Post
    Hi,

I'm Joel (Cycfi research), I just want to clarify that 0.2dB is the Noise Figure specified by the transistor manufacturer for Toshiba 2SC3324. Noise figure (NF) is always in dB:

"The noise figure is the difference in decibels (dB) between the noise output of the actual receiver to the noise output of an “ideal” receiver with the same overall gain and bandwidth when the receivers are connected to matched sources at the standard noise temperature T0 (usually 290 K). The noise power from a simple load is equal to kTB, where k is Boltzmann's constant, T is the absolute temperature of the load (for example a resistor), and B is the measurement bandwidth."

Some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_figure
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/4...01-1150780.pdf

Regards,
    --Joel
    I should also have said before, but welcome to the forum Joel. I'm looking forward to testing out the Cycfi pickups
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by djowel View Post
    Hi,

I'm Joel (Cycfi research), I just want to clarify that 0.2dB is the Noise Figure specified by the transistor manufacturer for Toshiba 2SC3324. Noise figure (NF) is always in dB:

"The noise figure is the difference in decibels (dB) between the noise output of the actual receiver to the noise output of an “ideal” receiver with the same overall gain and bandwidth when the receivers are connected to matched sources at the standard noise temperature T0 (usually 290 K). The noise power from a simple load is equal to kTB, where k is Boltzmann's constant, T is the absolute temperature of the load (for example a resistor), and B is the measurement bandwidth."

Some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_figure
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/4...01-1150780.pdf

Regards,
    --Joel
    Hi Joel and welcome.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm always up for learning something new, and I hadn't come across that before, with Noise Figure having a specific meaning in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hi Joel and welcome.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm always up for learning something new, and I hadn't come across that before, with Noise Figure having a specific meaning in this instance.
    Hi Simon, JohnH,

Thank you both for the warm welcome. This seems to be an interesting and nice forum!

Yeah, I too grappled with NF in the past. In many cases, the specs is nV/√Hz at 1kHz (for audio), and there's computation going to and from these two related but different units of measurement. I'm more used to nV/√Hz FWIW. That post is the only post (IIRC) that lists NF, which is taken verbatim from the Toshiba specs sheet.

But even nV/√Hz is rather obscure to many, so in the more recent posts on the Nu pickups, I simply use SNR, which is a more friendly(?) term.

I do have dBV figures as well. I'd love to hear your thoughts on which is the best figure to use.

Here's the dBV figures for common pickups compared to the Nu:

Hum (60 Hz (and harmonics) noise):
    Nu v2 : -113 dBV
    EMG 81 : -99 dBV
    PAF : -91 dBV
    Strat Single Coil : -80 dBV

Hiss (broadband noise):
    Nu v2 : -124 dBV
    EMG 81 : -129 dBV
    PAF : -139 dBV
    Strat Single Coil : -122 dBV

Regards
    --Joel

Any comparison using the same figures is OK in my book. I'm used to dBV and dBu for mic and audio equipment noise and sensitivity figures. dBV is an older value with dBu being more common these days in my experience. But both are valid and easily understood.

The Nu v2 is certainly quiet enough. Well below any practical audible threshold and well below most background noise levels. Normal electrical hum levels will be 33dB below an equivalent Strat coil (or will it be less if the Nu v2 figure is for a single pickup rather than equivalent 6 units?) and 22dB below a humbucker.

Mentor
    G'day John, just tried to send you a reply but your mailbox appears to be full.

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    G'day John, just tried to send you a reply but your mailbox appears to be full.
    Oh, yep. Try now - should be sorted, sorry.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast